NPAPI Plugin Support Issue ever fixed?

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been searching and haven't found a answer yet. I now there is a temporary work around for this in Firefox here. Hikvision plug in

And here Firefox to kill all NPAPI Plugins: March 7th 2017

But was wondering if there is a permanent fix yet, or planned?

And if the fix is a firmware update, how will us with the Chinese version cameras with the hacked firmware implement a fix.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there is no fix; HTML5 Realtime Video is crap and not a suitable replacement.. Keep IE/Safari around for the foreseeable future.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, web standards don't give a crap about live video streaming. Right now I think the only option camera makers would even consider implementing is HLS streaming but that adds several seconds of delay and customers wouldn't stand for it (rightly so).

Billkater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am more worried about setting the cameras up. I can view with a android app or the security software I use. Sighthound video.

I do have a local Web page with all my cameras on it for a quick view from any computer in the house. I will loose that option also

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
some one on this site pointed me to pale moon it works perfectly i use that to set up the cameras and adjust them i use to use firefox
but the plug in went down in march,

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah, web standards don't give a crap about live video streaming. Right now I think the only option camera makers would even consider implementing is HLS streaming but that adds several seconds of delay and customers wouldn't stand for it (rightly so).
Not so. Webrtc real time streaming is excellent. Been working with this technology for years. No plugins required on browsers anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Not so. Webrtc real time streaming is excellent. Been working with this technology for years. No plugins required on browsers anymore.

Except for obvious reasons like poor browser support, poor codec support (no h.264!), and staggeringly complex implementation.

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Except for obvious reasons like poor browser support, poor codec support (no h.264!), and staggeringly complex implementation.
Webrtc is in canary, chrome, opera, nightly, Firefox, bowser, and edge. And yes, webrtc does have support for H264 as of April last year. I think it's easy to use but then again I'm a software engineer.

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm using the IE plugin for chrome. Works like a charm

bomack

n3wb
Reaction score
There are a few options
1) Use Internet Explorer. While an acceptable option Microsoft is slow to patch bugs. Days of using IE should only be when your work doesn't allow you to use other browsers.
2) Use Firefox 52 ESR. This option is supported until March 2018. This "52 ESR version" will continue to receive security and critical patches until then.
3) Pale Moon browser. Good choice and built on similar Mozilla technology.
4) Now this option is only left for administering or doing camera work. This option should only be used for that and not for web surfing. You can find an older version of Firefox in pocket format. The plugin can be used in it and this will last forever. Just disable updates in pocket Firefox. Honestly though if going this route use Firefox ESR until next March.
5) Chrome with plugin. I have no experience with this though to comment.
6) Firefox 53 with npapi enabled. This option won't be lasting long as it won't be secure once Firefox goes to the next version as the npapi workaround won't be supported anymore.

Hope this helps.