NTP on new Router

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Just hooked up a synology router RC2600ac, and have enabled NTP in the GUI.

Then on the camera web page, i clicked on the ntp setting and filled in the info.

Is this info correct, and it this ill i need to do? Let me know. Thanks

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks right generally. Assuming that your router is at the .1 address. Which it most likely is.

Should be working?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks right generally. Assuming that your router is at the .1 address. Which it most likely is.

Should be working?
thank you. i had to sync to PC for both cameras, and it seems to be working. but ill keep checking back to make sure both cams are synced correctly.

port 123 should be open by defaut correct?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Dst settings in north America are roughly 3rd week of March and 3rd Week in October. If it matters. Maybe untick DST if you have external time server ?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Dst settings in north America are roughly 3rd week of March and 3rd Week in October. If it matters. Maybe untick DST if you have external time server ?
having that box checked should just mean that when the time comes, it should switch automatically. dont think it should do any harm now??

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about the Synology router. 123 should not be left open by default but may/should be opened when you enable NTP?

Yeah, you shouldn't have to do the PC sync. You can change the date/time on the router and see if it picks it up. Change the interval on the cam to 1 minute if you don't want to wait (as it's now set at 10).

Edit to add: Thinking about it again, access to 123 would be from the LAN side in this case. So it could be left open on that interface and still protected outside. In the same way, for example, port 80 is open to the inside to access the mgmt interface but should be blocked outside (unless remote mgmt or similar is turned on). I imagine that once you enable NTP it will turn that on and open the port. I don't know the Synology routers. You could do a port scan to see what's all open on it from the inside/outside.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
having that box checked should just mean that when the time comes, it should switch automatically. dont think it should do any harm now??
Yes. That's when it will adjust.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Only time will tell. Not sure how they interact. But if ntp on router is handling everything then maybe its nothing to change right now. I set mine to march snd october

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.46.46 PM.png

its enabled in my router, but i see my cams time floating a few seconds off now.

when I go to those sites that can check to see if a port is open, it still stays port 123 is closed?

any idea?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Should be closed to outside sites like that. You'd need to use UDP when running a scan also. Almost certainly it's not open to the outside world.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
See here...

Old but says that you also need to open port 123 in the firewall (another tab in your pic).

At the end of that thread it gives a Windows command to test. Open a command line and type:

w32tm /stripchart /computer:192.168.1.1

(Using IP of your router.)

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
From looking at your picture posted above, the Synology setting for NTP service sounds like you are just allowing NTP outbound through the router. You will still need to configure an NTP server on the cameras. Try pointing one of the cameras to time.google.com and see if your float clears up.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
That pic doesn't show that. Unless his router is listening on 123 he's not getting time. Also explains why he posted that he needed to "synch to PC" to get the right time.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
See here...

Old but says that you also need to open port 123 in the firewall (another tab in your pic).

At the end of that thread it gives a Windows command to test. Open a command line and type:

w32tm /stripchart /computer:192.168.1.1

(Using IP of your router.)

im on a mac....

I was in the firewall tab, and tried to configure it there, but it wouldnt let me chose my my router (192.168.1.1) The drop down had all of my other connected devices but that.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
You can try doing an NMAP scan of 192.168.1.1 and see if it is listening on UDP port 123.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
That pic doesn't show that. Unless his router is listening on 123 he's not getting time. Also explains why he posted that he needed to "synch to PC" to get the right time.
why would i put in time.google.com instead of my router ip (since its already running the ntp from
pool.ntp.org?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like you are all set then. You can always validate it via an NMAP scan. How much "float" are you talking about here? Only a few seconds?