NTP Server not working for Dauha cameras

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I setup NetTime, opened UDP port 123 on Windows firewall, and set each camera to use the NTP server. The address as you can see from image is my BI NVR address. What am i missing here? The cameras never update?

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i am not sure, but first see if the windows machine (192.168.0.10) is listening on 123. Open a power shell as administrator ad run the following command. Can another windows machine (ie laptop) get NTP from the ntpd windows server, but not the cameras? is 123 open in both directions through the router so that the demon is synched?

netstat -anb| findstr /i "listening"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In NetTime options, look at "Allow other computers to sync to this computer". That box needs to be checked or else the NTP server will not be running.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the option Allow other computers to sync was checked.

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i am not sure, but first see if the windows machine (192.168.0.10) is listening on 123. Open a power shell as administrator ad run the following command. Can another windows machine (ie laptop) get NTP from the ntpd windows server, but not the cameras? is 123 open in both directions through the router so that the demon is synched?

netstat -anb| findstr /i "listening"
What is the purpose of this command? Other than it is cool and could be very useful for other things... The windows machine IS the NTP server. Why does it need to be listening? I don't have any other machines. I only have the NVR and 24 cameras...

Port 123 is NOT open on the router. I am not sure I understand why this would be needed. The cameras are local and attempting to connect to the NVR that is on the local network. - I did open it just to test and it made no difference.

Last edited:

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I have determined that if use time.apple.com for the NTP server my cameras sync immediately. So the issue revolves around the NTP server running on the NVR. Anyone got any other ideas?

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok It appears I have fixed it! I had to turn OFF and disable the Windows Time Service. As soon as I did this my cameras started syncing.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@HEVNBND , if it isn't listening, then it isn't a server, no matter what service you are running. It will never answer a query for time info by the cameras. If it cant get through the firewall on 123, it also isn't an NTP client. A normal NTP server is also a client, where it establishes its stratum level based on the other servers it queries, unless it uses an atomic clock.

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you're looking for a dirt cheap standalone option, a Raspberry Pi makes a great NTP server. I picked one up to set up an NTP server that all my cameras and NVR sync to. It seems to keep the timestamps for the cameras nicely in sync. With the default camera NTP settings I was setting a few minutes of drift between cams.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're looking for a dirt cheap standalone option, a Raspberry Pi makes a great NTP server. I picked one up to set up an NTP server that all my cameras and NVR sync to. It seems to keep the timestamps for the cameras nicely in sync. With the default camera NTP settings I was setting a few minutes of drift between cams.
The nerd in me has always wanted to attach a compatible GPS receiver to one of those to make it a Stratum 1 time server. But it just isn't worth the hassle!

Tygunn

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The nerd in me has always wanted to attach a compatible GPS receiver to one of those to make it a Stratum 1 time server. But it just isn't worth the hassle!
This was my exact same thought. Its tempting, but then I think of where I'd locate the antenna for decent reception, and it ends up becoming more of a project than its really worth I'm happy enough having all the cameras simply synced to one another.