NVR 4208-8-4KS2 Problem

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Lately my NVR while reviewing playback will go offline. Does anyone know why this happens and if their is a solution . I have had it for 2 plus years and never had a problem.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Lately my NVR while reviewing playback will go offline. Does anyone know why this happens and if their is a solution . I have had it for 2 plus years and never had a problem.
What method are you using to review playback?
  • SmartPSS?
  • NVR's web interface?
  • The NVR's console?, IE monitor directly connected to the NVR
  • DMMS app?

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When the NVR goes offline my laptop is still connected and I usually surf waiting for it to connect again. I know it is not my WiFi.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CCTV data streams don't buffer, while you surfing the net buffers and doesn't command the same bandwidth...too many lost packets and your router may drop the connection to the NVR for a period of time.

Have you upped the resolutions or bitrates or cameras recently and overloading the NVR?

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
CCTV data streams don't buffer, while you surfing the net buffers and doesn't command the same bandwidth...too many lost packets and your router may drop the connection to the NVR for a period of time.

Have you upped the resolutions or bitrates or cameras recently and overloading the NVR?
So you are saying if I use to much bandwidth the NVR will disconnect for a period of time. I added one more camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, the NVR is only rated for a certain bandwidth in and out total and it sounds like you just went over it.

Per the spec for that NVR:

Network Bandwidth200 Mbps for access, 200 Mbps for storage and 96 Mbps for forwarding

That sounds like a lot, but it goes fast.

You can drop resolution, FPS, and bitrate down to try to get below the threshold.

Another member here recently did the exact same thing and dropping those parameters brought it below the limit.

One of the many reasons why a lot of us go with Blue Iris so we are not limited by bandwidth!

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, the NVR is only rated for a certain bandwidth in and out total and it sounds like you just went over it.

Per the spec for that NVR:

Network Bandwidth200 Mbps for access, 200 Mbps for storage and 96 Mbps for forwarding
That sounds like a lot, but it goes fast.

You can drop resolution, FPS, and bitrate down to try to get below the threshold.

Another member here recently did the exact same thing and dropping those parameters brought it below the limit.

One of the many reasons why a lot of us go with Blue Iris so we are not limited by bandwidth!
Is Blue Iris For a recording to a computer and not the NVR ?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, Blue Iris is a VMS program that runs on a Windows computer, so many of us have a dedicated computer just for Blue Iris and that is then a more powerful NVR. Blue Iris has a ton of flexibility and options.

I have done the NVR and Blue Iris and will never go back to an NVR.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, Blue Iris is a VMS program that runs on a Windows computer, so many of us have a dedicated computer just for Blue Iris and that is then a more powerful NVR. Blue Iris has a ton of flexibility and options.

I have done the NVR and Blue Iris and will never go back to an NVR.
With the recommended specs I will have to buy a new computer. I don't think the wife will give up hers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't need to buy components and build one, or buy a new computer either.

When I was looking at replacing an existing NVR, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal (the bandwidth is can process is a huge limiting factor), and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here a couple months ago found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. You won't find a capable NVR cheaper than that...

Another member was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU, so while the recommendation is a newer machine, if you optimize the system, you can get by with an older computer.

Or depending on the computer the wife has, you make that the BI computer and buy her a new computer LOL. Win-Win.

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

When I was looking at replacing an existing NVR, once I realized that not all NVRs are created equal (the bandwidth is can process is a huge limiting factor), and once I priced out a good one, it was cheaper to buy a refurbished computer than an NVR.

Many of us buy refurbished computers that are business class computers that have come off lease. The one I bought I kid you not I could not tell that it was a refurbished unit - not a speck of dust or dents or scratches on it. It appeared to me like everything was replaced and I would assume just the motherboard with the intel processor is what was from the original unit. I went with the lowest end processor on the WIKI list as it was the cheapest and it runs my system fine. Could probably get going for $200 or so. A real NVR will cost more than that.

A member here a couple months ago found a refurbished 4th generation for less than $150USD that came with Win10 PRO, 16GB RAM, and a 1TB drive. You won't find a capable NVR cheaper than that...

Another member was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU, so while the recommendation is a newer machine, if you optimize the system, you can get by with an older computer.

Or depending on the computer the wife has, you make that the BI computer and buy her a new computer LOL. Win-Win.
I'm deleting that last line before she see it.o_O

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

As for the win-win. NOOOOOOO It a win-lose She already has a better computer than me.:lmao::D

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found a
i7-4770K Processor 8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz, 16gig ram and 1tb ssd for 400.00 What do you think?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems a little high for a 4th gen considering someone got about the same for $150 recently. Keep looking, the deals are out there.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look for a Dell or HP business computer that has a 6th generation Intel computer, with 16GB memory, a case for an SSD and a hard drive.

Two years ago I purchased a I7-4790 with with 16GB memory, a full size case and a 1TB drive for $188.00 free shipping off of ebay, it took a few weeks to get a good price I Junked the drive added a 120 GB SSD for the system C: drive and a 4TB WD purple for video storage drive.

Keep looking, it may take some time but it can be had for a good price.

You will also need to purchase a Good POE network switch.

When you get PC, do a full clean windows 10 install using "microsoft media creation tool"

Read

ponyrider127

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do you do if you find a older computer but only has a VGA port. The VGA to HDMI does not support higher resolutions? Do you them add a video card?