NVR and PortForward

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I want to know how to portforward. Currently I think I dont have a public Ip... and thats where the problem is. I want to be able to access my cameras from anywhere. Router supports port forward and no-ip and also nvr supports no-ip. Is it possible?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you dont have a public IP then there is absolutely nothing you can do to forward ports.. perhaps if the NVR supports P2P and makes an outbound connection to a cloud-proxy

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you dont have a public IP then there is absolutely nothing you can do.. perhaps if the NVR supports P2P and makes an outbound connection to a cloud-proxy
Nvr does support p2p as its a Hikvision 7 series... but seems abit laggy...

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How can I be sure I dont have a public ip?

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Another thing that causes confusion is that whatismyip shows my public ip... cant I use that as the public ip... that send to my rotuer that than forwards to my nvr?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
laggy is not the p2p, its your connection more than likely..

your ISP can tell you if you get a publicly routable IP, usually if you log into your provider equipment it'll show you what its IP is and you can see if its public or not.

Whatismyip does not show if you have a routable pubic IP or not; if your behind an industrial grade NAT then it'll show that hosts address information.. it just shows where your request to there site is publicly coming from.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
laggy is not the p2p, its your connection more than likely..

your ISP can tell you if you get a publicly routable IP, usually if you log into your provider equipment it'll show you what its IP is and you can see if its public or not.

Whatismyip does not show if you have a routable pubic IP or not; if your behind an industrial grade NAT then it'll show that hosts address information.. it just shows where your request to there site is publicly coming from.
It showed a 10.127.*.* ip .. in wan when I logged into the modem... i plugged that ip
In browser and it gave me an admin page.. logged in and it worked.. but im connected to same wifi.. any dice?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah your not routable, you cant forward any ports because upstream they would have to forward ports to your router.. usually in these situations you pay more for routed IP, who's your provider may I ask?

if you can find a VPN Server host that will allow you to have multiple connections that can talk directly (rare) you can do that, or if you can run a VPN Server on another site you can do a point2point..

outside a reverse site2site vpn, p2p is your only hope and you can kiss any security goodbye.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah your not routable, you cant forward any ports because upstream they would have to forward ports to your router.. usually in these situations you pay more for routed IP, who's your provider may I ask?
Im in Africa actually its africell

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah wireless providers almost never provide routed IP's, not even for more money.

its kinda tricky to route traffic too a device thats mobile over great distances geographically.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah but thats all we have here mtn africell are the two main and best ones

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the laggy is likely your weak mobile connection and not p2p; if you could forward I suspect it'd be just as 'laggy'

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And the net speeds are trash.. we have others that provide also but most seem cellphone privides that peovide 4g lte but I think they do business internet also but at a much higher price

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The price I pay dor unlimited internet is USD 90 and speeds are 512k

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you have data limits remotely accessing a video camera over a mobile service could get quite cost prohibitive fast.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you have data limits remotely accessing a video camera over a mobile service could get quite cost prohibitive fast.
Yeah that's why I have this unlimited package. The other pakage is speeds upto 4g lte or 4-6mbps as they claim... but only to 50gb

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How much data per month would I require if I stream 24/7 any idea? Also is the data consumed for upload only when i stream from ourside or always consumed

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
512k is very minimal, and I bet your upload speeds are worse.. honestly I'd forget it on this connection, your not going to get good remote video.. have it email snapshots or something.

aapanju

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also thank for your very prompt response...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
data is data, its always consumed even if outbound.. and that depends entirley on the bitrate of the video