NVR as POE for Blue Iris

Reaction score
I have an NVR (Lorex LNR6100) that I'm essentially planning to replace with a PC + Blue Iris. Rather than purchasing a POE switch, is it possible to use the NVR to supply power to the cameras and still get all the benefits of BI? I have an extra ethernet port on the NVR I can use for connecting the PC. Would I still be able to use the NVR for long-term storage?

I searched around a bit and it seems like this might be feasible? Just trying to save a few bucks if possible.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, you can do this. How many cameras do you have? I would recommend buying a POE switch as they are not that expensive and will consume less power than an NVR and will be quieter.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I have 6 cameras currently connected to the NVR (which has 8 ports).

I would want at least a 8 port switch if I get one, which I might do eventually. Already spent ~$500 on the PC and Blue Iris so trying not to spend more for now if I can avoid it.

My PC only has one Ethernet port that I need for internet. Would I need to add another network card to run a cable to the NVR?

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike. I have 6 cameras currently connected to the NVR (which has 8 ports).

I would want at least a 8 port switch if I get one, which I might do eventually. Already spent ~$500 on the PC and Blue Iris so trying not to spend more for now if I can avoid it.

My PC only has one Ethernet port that I need for internet. Would I need to add another network card to run a cable to the NVR?
No, you wouldn't. NVR to router, computer to router then configuring.

Why not set the NVR to record continuously and have it as a backup to Blue Iris? If the NVR is working properly then I would do that.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, that’s exactly what I was hoping for. At a minimum it lets me get up and running faster.

I’ll probably record to the NVR as a backup as you suggested.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, that’s exactly what I was hoping for. At a minimum it lets me get up and running faster.

I’ll probably record to the NVR as a backup as you suggested.
So then to answer your original question, yes, just use your NVR as your POE switch.