NVR camera pixelation problem during motion

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 4 cameras set up and they have been ok so far but very recently, I am getting pixelation/corruption of some sort. The NVR system is a Dahua but rebranded as something else.

Any ideas what could cause the issue as shown in the video below.

FPS = 25
VBR
quality = 6

Thanks!

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you tested CBR at a reasonably high rate?
Yes, I actually had it on CBR and at its highest bitrate (6144Kb/s) but changed it to VBR just today to see if this will help at all as it started happening on CBR. I was told that VBR keeps quality fixed which is what I wanted.

Thanks

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
just speculating here, but it might be an "I" frame rate issue? try messing with that, maybe starting with it at 2x your shutter speed.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
on mine it is the next line after max bit rate. maybe camera specific??
upload_2017-5-22_11-35-26.png

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
on mine it is the next line after max bit rate. maybe camera specific??
View attachment 18523
Possibly, I cant seem to find it anywhere. I have gone back to CBR and dropped the bitrate to 4000~ Kb/s. Why would this happen when I max out the bitrate? The NVR is capable of taking 8 cams and I only have 4 so if reducing the bitrate fixes this I wonder what could be causing the issue.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
So I call that "tearing" not sure if that's the proper term, but Ive experienced it on 2 cameras I manage that feed back to a cloud service. In both cases as I increased the bitrate above 4K I randomly got that problem on some recordings that I pulled from the cloud.

When I pulled the footage directly from the camera SD card, all gone, no signs of the tearing on the same clips. After a couple of emails to our cloud provider blaming their switch, and getting a bigger connection/new router to the cameras from the local cable company, they tearing stopped. I now run both cams at 8192 Mbps.

I cant be certain which, but I'm convinced it was a bandwidth issue of either the pipe/router doing the upload or the cloud service switch creating a bottleneck in recording. Seems to have been hardware related regardless.

So not smart enough to diagnose your specific issue, but that may help you track it down.

Are you seeing it on clips you download from the NVR and play your computer and/or have you tried viewing the clips directly in playback on the NVR? If ok direct play on the NVR could simply be an issue with video settings on your computer?

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
So I call that "tearing" not sure if that's the proper term, but Ive experienced it on 2 cameras I manage that feed back to a cloud service. In both cases as I increased the bitrate above 4K I randomly got that problem on some recordings that I pulled from the cloud.

When I pulled the footage directly from the camera SD card, all gone, no signs of the tearing on the same clips. After a couple of emails to our cloud provider blaming their switch, and getting a bigger connection/new router to the cameras from the local cable company, they tearing stopped. I now run both cams at 8192 Mbps.

I cant be certain which, but I'm convinced it was a bandwidth issue of either the pipe/router doing the upload or the cloud service switch creating a bottleneck in recording. Seems to have been hardware related regardless.

So not smart enough to diagnose your specific issue, but that may help you track it down.

Are you seeing it on clips you download from the NVR and play your computer and/or have you tried viewing the clips directly in playback on the NVR? If ok direct play on the NVR could simply be an issue with video settings on your computer?
Thanks for your input, very interesting.

I thought this might have been the case but I did download the file locally and the issue remains (as per the video above). The issue is also present when I playback from the NVR directly. So I really am at a loss as to why this is happening but it's definitely not anything to do with my network. I have changed the codec from h.264H to h.264 to see if that will make any difference (max bitrate 8000kbs CBR).

What could it be, it only seems to happen at max bitrate....

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
That missing iframe setting is odd...should be where @bug99 mentioned

Here's a sample of mine when it was doing it bad

And here are two samples showing it on the recording I pulled from the cloud and missing on the one pulled straight from the camera SD card..

http://bigredfish.com/images/HOA/1A.mp4
http://bigredfish.com/images/HOA/1B.mp4
Looks like the same exact issue only mine happens on the NVR itself. I think there is a fault somewhere then TBH as it is not network related at all as the problem is present when played back from the NVR.

Very odd.

My system is called Annke but it is a Dahua product, not sure why I have no access to the setting.

Thanks

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
Update: it's still happening even though I have lowered the bit rate back down to 4000kbps CBR.

I have sent an email to Annke. Lets see what they say.

Thanks

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't follow you. Many suggestions without facts. First of all, we need to know what type of cams are you using and what for a specific capabilities has the recorder. What's the maximum total bitrate he can handle, designed for 4mp cams, comparable to which dahua nvr? It doesn't matter if it has 8 channels if you use a 4MP cam for a recorder who can't handle them. I would never recommend to use a rebrand nvr for several reasons. You are running into trouble and perhaps nobody can help.

Next thing, you maybe don't understand bitrate and i-frames. Using VBR quality 6 is nearly the same as cbr. To be sure not to have a recorder performance or compatibility issue, configure the codec inside of cam webinterface, not with recorder. Try 1080p with 25 frames, 4kbit VBR quality 5.
The normal i-frame is 50 but it also works fine with 25, but it raises bandwith. With these settings every lite nvr should work.

Try to record inside the cam on sdcard if possible. I would expect, the recording is fine, if not you have a cam issue!
Of cause this problem can be caused by network switches or something else inside your network.

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
I can't follow you. Many suggestions without facts. First of all, we need to know what type of cams are you using and what for a specific capabilities has the recorder. What's the maximum total bitrate he can handle, designed for 4mp cams, comparable to which dahua nvr? It doesn't matter if it has 8 channels if you use a 4MP cam for a recorder who can't handle them. I would never recommend to use a rebrand nvr for several reasons. You are running into trouble and perhaps nobody can help.

Next thing, you maybe don't understand bitrate and i-frames. Using VBR quality 6 is nearly the same as cbr. To be sure not to have a recorder performance or compatibility issue, configure the codec inside of cam webinterface, not with recorder. Try 1080p with 25 frames, 4kbit VBR quality 5.
The normal i-frame is 50 but it also works fine with 25, but it raises bandwith. With these settings every lite nvr should work.

Try to record inside the cam on sdcard if possible. I would expect, the recording is fine, if not you have a cam issue!
Of cause this problem can be caused by network switches or something else inside your network.
The link you have out in represents the camera system I am using. I never new it was a rebrand. It is quite a common system in the UK and it is sold as a package deal. It isn't cheap and to be honest is not poor either. I have had no issues with it until now. Most NVR systems still use h.264 only higher end systems have the other. I have had this system for a year. I normally use h.264H (highline) there is the other two profiles you mention but I have tried them as well and the issue persists. It also has MJPEG as well. VBR 6 was not the same as CBR at 6000 kbps. It went much higher to about 7000kbps when there was activity and as low as 4000kbs when quiet. So very different in my opinion.

The point is my setting are at 1080p, 25 frames and @ CBR 4000kbps (highest is 6k) and I get this issue. I would be greatful if we could focus on the issue and less on the perceived quality of the equipment I have.

Thanks

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do I understand you right, that the problem has not exist from beginning? If not it'smaybe a hardware problem of the recorder. Harddisk or poor cooling of CPU is one of the common reasons. The CPU is therefore often overheating and this is a simple way to calculate the lifetime of products.
Only one thing to your system, I don't want to make it down, but compared to the Dahua systems it's a really cheap one, sold for to much money. But that's not your fault. This is the market, for those who didn't know it better.

FHE92

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would choose a NVR 4208-4k, not the 5208. You can find several comments from me to explain why.