NVR Hard Drive Sizes

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If using more then one HD in an NVR, is it recommended to keep the drives the same size? I would assume they should also be the same manufacturer and model as well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If using more then one HD in an NVR, is it recommended to keep the drives the same size? I would assume they should also be the same manufacturer and model as well.
I have not seen anything to the effect you need to keep them the same size.
As far as brands, they should all be Western Digital Purple drives.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @OICU2

Different sized HDDs is OK in an NVR. Just double check the specs for the max HDD size, and look at what others have added. ( sometimes you can add a larger HDDs than the spec sheet indicates, sometimes the spec sheet is accurate.. so do double check )

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi @OICU2

Different sized HDDs is OK in an NVR. Just double check the specs for the max HDD size, and look at what others have added. ( sometimes you can add a larger HDDs than the spec sheet indicates, sometimes the spec sheet is accurate.. so do double check )
Thanks, I have the Hik DS-7616NI-E2. Spec sheet says 2 HD total, 6TB max in each. Anyone using bigger ? Or maybe one can get away with 12TB total, using 4TB in one and 8TB in another?

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I have the Hik DS-7616NI-E2. Spec sheet says 2 HD total, 6TB max in each. Anyone using bigger ? Or maybe one can get away with 12TB total, using 4TB in one and 8TB in another?
8TB each max. didn't know about the 10TB

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If using multiple drives in a raid array, you’d want to use the same size, type and manufacturer. If just a couple of standard config drives, anything within spec will do.
Don’t exceed the drive capacity guidelines or your drives won’t be recognized as their full capacity. (If you place an 8TB in a NVR with 6TB max, it will only recognize as a 6TB. -A waste of money.
WD Purple was mentioned - good drives. Seagate Skyhawk drives are excellent and are better choices currently. (The two manufacturers seem to flip-flop every few years as the best drives on the market)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If using multiple drives in a raid array, you’d want to use the same size, type and manufacturer. If just a couple of standard config drives, anything within spec will do.
Don’t exceed the drive capacity guidelines or your drives won’t be recognized as their full capacity. (If you place an 8TB in a NVR with 6TB max, it will only recognize as a 6TB. -A waste of money.
WD Purple was mentioned - good drives. Seagate Skyhawk drives are excellent and are better choices currently. (The two manufacturers seem to flip-flop every few years as the best drives on the market)
FYI - typically not creating an RAID ( 0, 1, or other ) on an NVR that holds 2 HDD

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, avoid Seagate at all cost, just sayin' ;)

The_E

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, avoid Seagate at all cost, just sayin' ;)
Anecdotal experience has me under the impression that Seagate has regained top status. Curious why you avoid Seagate? (I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you 4-5 years ago). The only defective NVR drives I’ve had to replace In recent years have been WD Purples.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Anecdotal experience has me under the impression that Seagate has regained top status. Curious why you avoid Seagate? (I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you 4-5 years ago). The only defective NVR drives I’ve had to replace In recent years have been WD Purples.
What Seagate lineup are you referencing? I had a bad experience with the Barracudas