NVR HDMI Connection Issues with TV Display

TexAgCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having issues with my Hikvision NVR (DS-7608NI-Q2/8P) staying connected to my Samsung TV (UN65MU8000). I can connect the NVR to the TV with no issues, but whenever I turn the TV off and then turn the TV back on the NVR is showing the NVR is connected (blue checkmark) but the NVR is powered off (red power icon) and giving me the No Signal error.

Oddly I can not just unplug the NVR HDMI and plug it in. I have to actually turn the NVR off then back off to reconnect to the TV.

I can not find any logical setting on the TV or NVR that would prevent this.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The issue is all but certainly HDMI HDCP/handshake. The odds that it is a cable problem are about as close to zero as one can get without actually being zero.

If the TV and the NVR don't give the proper top secret HDMI HDCP "handshake" then they will not talk further. Simply unplugging the HDMI and reconnecting it will not reinitiate the proper handshake.

Google around about HDMI HDCP, HDMI handshake, and Consumer Electronics Control (CEC), and check the manuals/settings of the NVR and TV for potential settings to adjust after you've studied up on the course material. That may get you somewhere, or not. Sometimes the only fix is the power cycle sequence you've noted.

TexAgCam

n3wb
Reaction score
You are correct, changing cables did not help. Based on the input above on HDCP I plugged the NVR into a computer monitor after the TV went into No Signal mode after turning the TV off then back on, and the computer monitor worked no problem. D@mn.

I read HDMI splitters with HDCP stripping can potentially alleviate this. Has anyone had any experience with this technique? Is there a 4k HDMI splitter with HDCP stripping you could recommend?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never tried any of the (HDMI/HDCP) strippers so I can't comment in that regard.

I've been fortunate that all my stuff with HDMI plays well together other than an infrequent startup sequence thing if someone uses wrong button on remote instead of the programmed macros. Usually that happens after the grandkids have been over and trying to play Wii or whatever.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think posting back with solutions or workarounds to a problem is a nice thing to do. Good on you!

Reaction score
I am having issues with my Hikvision NVR (DS-7608NI-Q2/8P) staying connected to my Samsung TV (UN65MU8000). I can connect the NVR to the TV with no issues, but whenever I turn the TV off and then turn the TV back on the NVR is showing the NVR is connected (blue checkmark) but the NVR is powered off (red power icon) and giving me the No Signal error.

Oddly I can not just unplug the NVR HDMI and plug it in. I have to actually turn the NVR off then back off to reconnect to the TV.

I can not find any logical setting on the TV or NVR that would prevent this.
I have same kind of problem have reached for any solution??...thankyou in advance

Neil.X

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I had the same issue with my TV saying the NVR is switched off (red button symbol) whenever the TV was turned off and back on again. Only restarting the NVR seemed to work but only temporarily. I tried everything but nothing worked. Using a 4k HDMI Splitter that bypasses HDCP was the only thing that worked for me in the end. I switched off the Hikvision NVR and Samsung TV. Then connected the NVR to the TV via the HDMI Splitter instead. Then switched on the TV and NVR at the same time. Now the TV picks up the NVR's HDMI signal all the time without any drops.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have CEC enabled on the TV and/or the NVR, that could very well have been the problem. CEC in general is a bad thing to use for something like an NVR.
Common item with both above users is the Samsung TV. Samsung uses Anynet+ (their version of CEC control) to control HDMI connected devices.
The problem may be when the TV is powered off, it is sending a CEC command to turn off the NVR.
Disable Anynet+, see what happens.
I do not believe the issue is HDCP, and that NVRs need HDCP. The HDMI splitter fix mentioned above blocks both HDCP & CEC.

Neil.X

n3wb
Reaction score
Common item with both above users is the Samsung TV. Samsung uses Anynet+ (their version of CEC control) to control HDMI connected devices.
The problem may be when the TV is powered off, it is sending a CEC command to turn off the NVR.
Disable Anynet+, see what happens.
I do not believe the issue is HDCP, and that NVRs need HDCP. The HDMI splitter fix mentioned above blocks both HDCP & CEC.
Might be, I did try disabling Anynet+ before trying a HDMI splitter but it didn't seem to make a difference and the issue still seemed to persist despite Anynet+ being disabled.