NVR monitor via Smart TV wirelessly?

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've a smart TV with numerous types of input connections and I've a dahua NVR (and cameras). I'm trying to fatham the best way to set up the system, but as a newbie in this area, it's hard and a steep learning curve.

I'm planning to locate the NVR in a relatively secure location, at least somewhere that someone can't just unplug and take it with the contents of the hard drive!

This means it'll need to be away from a monitor directly attached. Is there a a way 'stream' from the NVR to a Smart TV without wirlessly?

Thank you for your patience and understanding...

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry for the typo. I meant "Is there a a way 'stream' from the NVR to a Smart TV wirlessly?" i.e. without the need for a HDMI lead from the NVR to the TV

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
can you pull up the NVR's web interface on the TV's web browser?...

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi Pozzello, right now I don't know the answer to that good point as the system isn't installed - it's rather 'chicken and egg' for me right now as I'm trying to plan how best to connect the gear, which I've got. I'll find out whether that's possible asap. Can't see why not mind you, but I've been lulled into a 'that should be easy' feeling before, to find it's not!

Let's say I can for now, what would that enable me to do?

Thank you for the time to reply to my post, appreciated.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
depends on the NVR of course, but at a minimum, the NVR should provide a URL at which you can view all the cam streams at once, and probably individual URL's for each camera and/or substream.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
On my Dahua NVR, viewing this stream requires a browser plug-in. I would not take this arrangement to the bank.

What operating system does the TV run?

Cheers, Steve

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep, need for a Browser plugin made it a no-go for me on a relatively new Samsung

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cant you run a hdmi wireless transmitter and receiver? Transmitter plugged into the HDMI port on the NVR and receiver into the the HDMI of the TV? If you look on Amazon for example your can find one... This is a link to a random one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-Banne-Bon-Streaming-Projector/dp/B07D356LZM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OQDYMAP3ISUM&keywords=hdmi+wireless+transmitter+and+receiver&qid=1554302222&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+wire,aps,150&sr=8-5 I guess you'd just need to find a cheaper one.

NoBr8ks

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're tech savvy, look into using a RaspberryPi3... Stream via RTSP. (It's what I use for my TV's)

NoBr8ks

n3wb
Reaction score
What software are you using on the PI to stream the RTSP feeds?
LibreELEC/Kodi 17.1 (8.2.5)

rtsp://user: password@NVR/DVR IP:554/PSIA/streaming/channels/ Sub Stream of Camera Number/. Example, cam 3. Main Stream, 301. Sub Stream, 302.

There's an app called "Surveillance Cam" on video-ons. Link Surveillance Cameras

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
LibreELEC/Kodi 17.1 (8.2.5)

rtsp://user: password@NVR/DVR IP:554/PSIA/streaming/channels/ Sub Stream of Camera Number/. Example, cam 3. Main Stream, 301. Sub Stream, 302.

There's an app called "Surveillance Cam" on video-ons. Link Surveillance Cameras
Looks good, but you can only have 3 cameras on it?

Chocman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cant you run a hdmi wireless transmitter and receiver? Transmitter plugged into the HDMI port on the NVR and receiver into the the HDMI of the TV? If you look on Amazon for example your can find one... This is a link to a random one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-Banne-Bon-Streaming-Projector/dp/B07D356LZM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3OQDYMAP3ISUM&keywords=hdmi+wireless+transmitter+and+receiver&qid=1554302222&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+wire,aps,150&sr=8-5 I guess you'd just need to find a cheaper one.
Wow, I didn't even know these things existed - problem may well now be solved :)