NVR or Blue Iris for best internet security?

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I'm going to install my first camera system.
Going to have three cameras
1. Front door
2. Driveway and in front of side gate
3. Backyard to cover two back doors

I don't want my images or videos to find there way to the internet, especially camera 3, I have a pool and two teenage daughters, lol.

But I want to be able to get email alerts for activity, and also be able to check the cameras from an android or iphone.
That's the main point of getting cameras. And recording if something does happen.

So between Dahua NVR, Hikvision NVR or PC running Blue Iris (or other software), what is most secure?
I would also like as little vulnerability as possible to my home network, so avoid as much as possible compromising my firewall.

Any advice on how to get hackers from getting into my cameras would be appreciated, along with what to buy to get the best (with reasonable effort) security.

TIA
Randy

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are all the same, use vpn....BI is updated way more often than the others and any security vulnerability is immediately patched. If you use VPN it doesnt matter.
Blue iris is much more flexible than a standalone nvr.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep a VPN equalizes it all, if only the VPN Server is exposed to the internet then only it can be compromised to bypass your firewalls... they have been designed from the ground up for internet exposure and if anyone does find a vulnerability you can be assured that it will be fixed and distributed with haste.. as many Governments and Financial Institutions rely on it heavily.

this will prevent all intrusion via remote attacks, someone will need to gain local access to your network via another means.. (ie, malware, phishing, etc)

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Sounds like my video will be safe.
Yesterday I was thinking NVR, but now leaning more towards a PC and BI.
Now to pick a camera lol

Randy