Just finished my build:

i7-7700
16gb DDR4
Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 1GB Vid
5PPW PSU

4TB - BI (6 cams, expanding to 10 soon)
10TB - Media/HTPC
8TB - Personal

My Question - rather than running a separate PC for web browsing, vinyl cutting, and some Gopro editing (using the 8tb as network storage), would there be any issues with using it as a personal computer as well?

I ran BI and Emby server together on a i5-3550 /8gb DDR 3 for 4 or 5 years, so I know that's fine. Just curious how it would handle the occasional GoPro processing. Currently doing that on a prehistoric i7-3630qm/8gb ddr3

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, a PC must be dedicated to the VMS. The ati card should be removed.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, a PC must be dedicated to the VMS. The ati card should be removed.
Can you explain a little further?

I wasn't planning on using a video card, but when I re-downloaded BI, it recommended the use of a video card.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you explain a little further?

I wasn't planning on using a video card, but when I re-downloaded BI, it recommended the use of a video card.

The blue iris recommendation for a video card is misleading. It is specific for displaying many cams at high resolution and even then almost always unnecessary. Also it only works with Nvidia. You want to use intel hardware acceleration (currently only working with h.264). While nvidia decoding has now been added and works with 265, it is inefficient and not cost effective.

rmanTX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The blue iris recommendation for a video card is misleading. It is specific for displaying many cams at high resolution and even then almost always unnecessary. Also it only works with Nvidia. You want to use intel hardware acceleration (currently only working with h.264). While nvidia decoding has now been added and works with 265, it is inefficient and not cost effective.
thanks, that clears it up. I will pull the video card and just do my personal stuff on a separate PC