NVR sets resolution

Reaction score
I have a 1080p NVR but I also have a camera with a better resolution than 1080p.
When I connect the camera to the NVR (with no password) it auto sets the default resolution to 1080p and if I connect to the camera via my phone or a different device its 1080p. The camera records to the cloud so I don't want to record 1080p when the camera is about 5MP. I want to view the camera from my NVR monitor.

Any ideas how I can get around my NVR from setting the default resolution to 1080p?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 1080p NVR but I also have a camera with a better resolution than 1080p.
When I connect the camera to the NVR (with no password) it auto sets the default resolution to 1080p and if I connect to the camera via my phone or a different device its 1080p. The camera records to the cloud so I don't want to record 1080p when the camera is about 5MP. I want to view the camera from my NVR monitor.

Any ideas how I can get around my NVR from setting the default resolution to 1080p?
Welcome Mitch,

Perhaps setting the camera to ONVIF on a separate PoE switch and setting the NVR to accept an external ONVIF camera and read only the substream from the camera?

Otherwise the NVR seems to want to control the camera and configure it in a way that the camera will work with the NVR.

Perhaps this would be a good time to look at upgrading the NVR?

Reaction score
Welcome Mitch,

Perhaps setting the camera to ONVIF on a separate PoE switch and setting the NVR to accept an external ONVIF camera and read only the substream from the camera?

Otherwise the NVR seems to want to control the camera and configure it in a way that the camera will work with the NVR.

Perhaps this would be a good time to look at upgrading the NVR?
So like this?

Then make a user with the permissions only to view the camera?
(I tried that but it still set it to 1080p o_O it was working but when I double click on it for full view it goes from D1 > super HD and the NVR only does 1080p so it restarts the camera and set it to 1080p, but the permission is only to "Only watch configurations" )

I would love to get a 4k NVR but I don't have the money right now. I am saving for a nice computer to record 4k and use blue iris then upgrade all my cameras.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any ideas why it can still change the resolution when it should not even have the permission?