NVR Sizing Question

Htown427r

n3wb
Reaction score
Howdy! I'm brand new to the CCTV world and I am in the process of building out my first system for home use.

I am planning on using qty 5 8MP 4k Hikvision outdoor cameras: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDDJHYV/?coliid=I335RK3164IUZ9&colid=A9FS8Y1P9FDD&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews

For the NVR I am planning on using Blue Iris for the software and a refurbished PC for the hardware. Here are two of the PC options I am considering:

HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF, i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD
HP Prodesk 600 G2 SFF, i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD *136 | eBay

HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Slim Business Desktop Computer, Intel i5-4570 up to 3.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD, USB 3.0, Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Business-Computer-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B07BCGW85X/ref=pd_cp_147_2?pd_rd_w=fDcwn&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=2P1VK1TR22KDBK0WE3P1&pd_rd_r=012fb9ad-7be6-11e9-b695-87acaaaa01ea&pd_rd_wg=PYAWw&pd_rd_i=B07BCGW85X&psc=1&refRID=2P1VK1TR22KDBK0WE3P1

The first option has 6th gen CPU vs a 4th gen CPU for the second option. However, first option doesn't come with an OS.

With this setup, will I see any noticeable performance difference between these options?

I'm open to any and all recommendations anyone has to offer, thanks!

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iamtarded

n3wb
Reaction score
You can check the Geekbench comparison between the two systems and decide for yourself - there's about 10-12% performance difference between the two:

HP HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF vs Hewlett-Packard HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF - Geekbench Browser

I'd go with an added SSD for the OS itself with the regular HDD for recordings. With that said, I'd personally go with the 6th gen, this will run cooler than the 4th gen (14nm vs 22nm/65W vs 84W TDP).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:

On both computers how many 3.5 disk slots. Plan on adding a 120 GB ssd for the OS and Blue Iris. Also add at least a 4 TB WD purple drive.
I would re think your choice of cameras if using them at night with low light.
Check on the rules about upgrading Hikvision cameras. If it is an china english hack it will more than likely not be upgradable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess

Htown427r

n3wb
Reaction score
iamtarded thanks for input and for the Geekbench comparison, I hadn't heard of it until now. I think am going to spend a little more to and go with the 6th gen chipset.

SouthernYankee great to see another Houstonian on the board! Looks like there are 3 slots for HDD so I should be able to go SSD for OS/Blue Iris and have room for two 4TB HDD. I work for WD so of course I have to go with the Purple drives. I have done some rethinking on the 4k for all of the cameras. I live in a fairly well lit neighborhood so I am thinking about using 4k for the front of the house (hoping to give me a better shot at capturing licenses plates if ever needed) and going with 4MP cameras around the side yard and backyard. Finally thank you for the wiki links! I have some reading ahead of me.

:welcome:

On both computers how many 3.5 disk slots. Plan on adding a 120 GB ssd for the OS and Blue Iris. Also add at least a 4 TB WD purple drive.
I would re think your choice of cameras if using them at night with low light.
Check on the rules about upgrading Hikvision cameras. If it is an china english hack it will more than likely not be upgradable.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My standard welcome to the forum message.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras or ICPT Night eye cameras (https://store.ipcamtalk.com/) if you need good low light cameras.
2) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
3) Do not use wifi cameras.
4) Do not use cloud storage
5) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
6) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
7) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
8) Do not use reolink, ring, nest cameras (they are junk)
9) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
10) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
11) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Test do not guess
You can check the Geekbench comparison between the two systems and decide for yourself - there's about 10-12% performance difference between the two:

HP HP ProDesk 600 G2 SFF vs Hewlett-Packard HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF - Geekbench Browser

I'd go with an added SSD for the OS itself with the regular HDD for recordings. With that said, I'd personally go with the 6th gen, this will run cooler than the 4th gen (14nm vs 22nm/65W vs 84W TDP).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
test do not guess. Buy one camera and used the bucket and 2x4 to test the location and night resolution. Have a friend wear a hoodie, ball cap and come up to your parked car for a door test. If you can not identify him easily. the you have the wrong cameras and the wrong mounting location.

More MP is not always better.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The first option will allow you to install Windows 10 pro no problem. The system came with Windows 10 pro and therefore will have a perpetual digital license. Just using Microsoft media installation tool. That said you might want a beefier system if you're going to be using 5 8mp cameras