NVR suddenly stopped working - PoE power overload

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a HikVision DS-7608NI-K2/8P that suddenly stopped working, the cameras are not powering up (as far as I can tell).

I have checked the logs and I see a lot of "PoE power overload messages" since the day it stopped.
The lights at the back, for each camera UTP port are not blinking. Tried a new camera that was never used and that one didn't work either.
Tried to change settings to it's default, reboot, shutdown, nothing solves the issue.

I have found other forums with this issue, but none actually makes me understand what happened or if it's solvable.

Can somebody please shed some light in this? Can I do something to fix it or do I need to change the NVR?

Thank you,

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Sound like a power issue, you could test if your nvr could still work by using a alternative power source. Power injector or poe switch. Between the cams and the ports but even if that did work I would just switch over to using a poe switch and abandon the native ports.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have found other forums with this issue, but none actually makes me understand what happened or if it's solvable.
Have you confirmed that you get the same problem when all PoE cameras are disconnected?
One way to see that is via the PoE status screen in the NVR VGA/HDMI interface.
It may show some ridiculous value for the power consumption.

As suggested, most likely a hardware fault that has stopped the PoE circuitry from working.
Have you had any power surges, or any lightning recently?

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
I have disconnected all cameras and plugged in a VGA monitor but I can't find any PoE status screen anywhere. If it matters, the NVR won't power a single camera either.
Checked another power source and it's the same, don't have a PoE switch (it's the reason I got this one, to have PoE without one).
Can't know for sure if there were any power surges because we were in vacation when it happened, but no lighting because it's winter here.

Guess I will have to RMA it but would love to avoid it.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Kind of hard to trouble shoot without a separate power source, your logs clearly say "OVERLOAD" If you have warranty for that I would be doing it. One thing to keep in mind, Do you have a faulty cam or wiring issue that might have took out the nvr? Going forward you might want to buy a power injector and test each cam and cable run before plugging it back into a NVR. When I see the word "overload" in logs, it would make me wonder about the rest of the system. I think at least a good visual inspection of connections, plugs, and cable would be time well spent.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have disconnected all cameras and plugged in a VGA monitor but I can't find any PoE status screen anywhere.
It's under :
Camera | PoE Information tab
in the VGA/HDMI interface

Right-click the mouse to get Menu, then log in with either the on-screen keyboard, or the unlock code if you have set it.

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no faulty camera because it's not working with either one of them ( I have 8 ) and also tried with a new camera and a new UTP cable, still nothing. By a different power source do you mean I need to go to another building and test it there? I have only checked with different power plugs inside our building.

Found the PoE Information tab and it shows me "Real Power: 0 W" and "Remaining Power: 120 W" regardless of the number of cameras I plug in.

On another note, somebody on another thread told me they have the "PoE Power Overload" logs every hour but their cameras are working. Starting to think I made the wrong choice in buying this one.

I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks,

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
By a different power source do you mean I need to go to another building and test it there?
No, what's meant is that the cameras could for example be wired to a PoE switch to power them, and the NVR reconfigured to connect to the cameras on the LAN via the switch.
The camera IP addresses would have to be changed to match the LAN address range.

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh right... :facepalm: Unfortunately I don't have another PoE switch, nor any other way to power up the camera.

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have received a new NVR from the store. All good, except, I have noticed that one of the 6 cameras I got is not working. Same symptoms, the camera is not powering up, leds are not blinking.

There is nothing wrong with the new NVR, the port is working.

Now my concern and question to you guys: Could this camera have something to do with the entire problem I got? Maybe the cable is bad (even though I tested it and all wires are properly placed) or maybe something else that could have triggered the power overload?

Thanks,

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the nvr is not on a UPS, in the near future put it on a UPS.
Also get a small POE switch for future testing.
The camera may be part of your problem, first test with a new store purchased cable, not homemade.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at what I said in post 5, You need to get yourself a separate power source as @SouthernYankee said and was recommended to you before. Could this have taken out your NVR? Quite possible and also vise versa. Now it's time to bench test that cam, you made the assumption you had NO faulty cams but how could you tell if you had no way to power them to test. I would not plug it back in until I found out the issue. Now you are down to 2 issues, Wiring or a faulty cam.

Srj

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

Got an UPS and put the NVR on it.

I only found out a camera was faulty after I got the NVR back from the RMA, placed a new camera in the same place (same cable) and sent the faulty one to RMA as well.

Now everything is working as it should, and hopefully not having the NVR under an UPS was the issue. Tested the cable using a UTP cable tester and all wires are connected and it the correct order.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
The UPS is good practice but I doubt NOT having it took the camera out.