NVR Topology

Alex Peri

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been searching through the network topology posts for NVRs and have seen answers to sporadic questions but I still don't have a full picture so I created my own to ask the question and please excuse if these are basic.

In the picture, I understand that the NVR will be able to see Camera #A and Camera #B.
My questions are, will:
1) the NVR be able to recognize and record Camera #C ?
2) I am assuming the NVR ethernet ports are 100MB ethernet. Therefore how many #B cameras can it support on one port via a switch?
3) User D from the internet be able to access directly Camera #A and #B interface's interface without going through the NVR interface ?

Topology_.JPG

Many thanks,

Alex

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
1) the NVR be able to recognize and record Camera #C ?
Yes. Though some routers routing performance (ie internet download/upload speed) can be adversely affected by processing camera streams on their switch ports.
2) I am assuming the NVR ethernet ports are 100MB ethernet.
Mostly they have Gigabit ports - apart from some low-end 4 channel NVRs.
Therefore how many #B cameras can it support on one port via a switch?
Given a video stream of maybe 4-8Mbps, even a 100Mbps switch port will handle 5-10 cameras. A Gigabit port would hardly notice the traffic.
3) User D from the internet be able to access directly Camera #A and #B interface's interface without going through the NVR interface ?
Only if the NVR networking (eg Virtual Host on Hikvision NVRs) and LAN routing is configured to be able to do so. Quite a few posts on that topic. Search for 'static route'.
BUT - if you are considering setting up port forwarding to allow access via the internet - think again. There would be considerable risks to your LAN, the devices and data on it if you do so.
Check out the VPN topic - VPN Primer for Noobs
While it might seem daunting - many people have implemented a VPN successfully.

*edit* Looking again at your diagram - I didn't notice that the B camera switch is connected to an NVR (presumed PoE) port. That's not correct - the switch needs to have the NVR LAN port connected to it, and also a connection to the router.

Alex Peri

n3wb
Reaction score
*edit* Looking again at your diagram - I didn't notice that the B camera switch is connected to an NVR (presumed PoE) port. That's not correct - the switch needs to have the NVR LAN port connected to it, and also a connection to the router.
About your last point: The Switch could have independent power supply so no need for a PoE powered by the NVR. Why would the Switch for Camera # B need to connect to both the NVR and the Modem/Router?

All your answers very-very comprehensive. Thanks a lot!!!