NVR with IR control?

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Newbie here. I'm pre-wiring my new house with Cat6 and will be able to view my NVR from 4 different TVs (using a 1x4 HDMI converter). The way i'll be doing this *should* allow IR at each location. Are there NVR's (looking at Dahua) that allow control via IR? Or only via mouse?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua's only via mouse, havent seen a NVR w/IR remote in a long time

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Normally, a way to combat this is obviously via a smart phone to independently view different cams. Unfortunately, an internet connection at my new house is going to be a serious challenge which is why I'm setting up my house to be able to view my system from every TV.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, an internet connection at my new house is going to be a serious challenge
I'm sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this.
An internet connection would be for gaining access to the house from an outside location (security considerations aside) as opposed to what you do internally.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't understand the relevance of this.
An internet connection would be for gaining access to the house from an outside location (security considerations aside) as opposed to what you do internally.
I am not aware of a way to have a wifi connection (to allow access to a camera app from my phone) that does not also require an internet connection. But I am, admittedly, not tech savy.

BigLarge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, after a quick google seach, perhaps access via my phone without internet is possible.

Regardless, my main goal was control of my NVR from a few different TVs
It appears that is not as simple as I had hoped.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not aware of a way to have a wifi connection (to allow access to a camera app from my phone) that does not also require an internet connection.
All that's required is a WiFi access point connected to your house network.
ISP routers generally also come with a WiFi access point built in, but that's incidental to their primary function which is connect your house LAN to the services of the ISP.
It's common for large areas, or houses with dense walls, to extend range by installing additional WiFi access points on the house network.
Well, after a quick google seach, perhaps access via my phone without internet is possible.
Certainly. As well as by any other device (PC, laptop, tablet etc) that can connect to your house network either via WiFi or wired.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My NVR came with a remote (model # in signature, below)
It's still in the original plastic bag. I never had much use for a remote.
Point is: whether a remote came in the box with the new NVR or not, the NVR may have an IR receiver.
The are smart phone apps that can mimic a remote. Most use it to control TV, Stereo, etc. You configure the app w/ the make & model of the TV, and it fetches the correct IR commands and syntax from the web.
Logitech smart remotes operate similarly, and one remote can control multiple devices.
So some experimentation may be in order.... If you're optimistic.... Because it's likely a long shot....

Fastb

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Some phones have WiFi and cellular radios.
I can use mu phone to reach items on my network using WiFi.
I intended to connect to the NVR. However, "plugin.exe" wasn't available.
I reached the NVR, and could log-in, but was immediately told I needed plugin.exe.
No internet, no cellular was used. I used the private address for the NVR.

YMMV,
Fastb

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I were you I'd probably mostly want live viewing on multiple screens and would actually review footage on a computer with a wired network connection.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My NVR may be old (for me, 11 months old)(it's not for sale anymore where I bought it, though)

Here's a system diagram, and shows the remote....remote.jpg

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd probably mostly want live viewing on multiple screens and would actually review footage on a computer with a wired network connection.
Excellent point. Makes me think the remote will only control the monitor output port on the NVR. ie: the VGA and HDMI NVR output ports.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you also may be able to plug in a USB hub and run some long cables to multiple receivers for wireless mice or set a single Logitech unifying receiver (on your computer) to work with multiple mice (no guarantees)

hamsoplo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Dahua hybrid from 2014 came with a remote. Ok for switching screens and basic stuff, the mouse is way better. Problem is it must share some programming with the Vizio tv I had in the room, using the tv remote would make the nvr switch screens, manual record, turn off recording etc. Ended up just taping over the IR receiver with electrical tape on the nvr. Find a way to make the mouse work for you.

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
What you are asking is possible if you were using a Hikvision nvr. Last year, a firmware was released to include this option. You have to download their app which is called iVMS-4500 and under one of the settings is "remote controller". With this feature, you can use your phone as a remote control to control the nvr when a monitor is connected but not necessarily in front of the nvr.