Nvr with linux client

Will.I.Am

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any manufacturers on the market offer a linux client.

I'm a Linux user at home and although I can (and do) make use of wine and virtual machines, I'd rather just get equipment that I can use naively on Linux.

I've currently got a couple of Dahua cameras and a couple of Hikvision ones. The Dahua Web ui is slightly (very slightly) better as it'll work with an extension in Firefox but even that isn't actually native to the normal Firefox browser and actually opens a separate app to view the cameras.

I have a hikvision nvr but I'm looking to replace it as it's one of the E series from a couple of years ago and to be blunt, it's absolute garbage and won't even run one camera at maximum quality (3mp) and even reboots when I try to use the audio on the pyronix / hik cube camera I have for watching the dog while I'm out.

I don't care about remote viewing services, I don't use them. As long as there's a linux client and an android client I'm good, I have a static ip at home so I just port forward and view directly without going through a 3rd party service.

I used the trial version of nx witness a while back installed on my server and while it was very impressive, they were an absolute pig to try to deal with to actually buy the thing.
No one in the UK sells it (or did sell it back then) and their sales team were less than helpful when though I'm in the cctv industry.
I could probably go through my company to get it but my bosses have enough to worry about without chasing up sources of things for me that I may not even buy because I couldn't even get a rough price guide.
I'm willing to pay for something good but I'm not about to pay 500 quid for a license for a vms that I'd then have to provide my own hardware for just to run 4 cameras.

Ideally, there's an off the shelf nvr that has a decent linux client. Probably 8 channel to allow room for expansion.
Poe isn't essential because I prefer to have the cameras on the main network so I can communicate with them directly instead of having to go through the nvr if necessary.