NVR with motion record compatible with any onvif camera

mcw

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a cheap NVR that has motion detection record managed directly by the NVR so it will work with any onvif camera. I had a sunluxy NVR (this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WfYAAOSwR0JUUL0G/s-l300.jpg) that worked with any onvif camera but I can't find it to buy anywhere, all the other NVRs I have tried need compatible same brand camera's and even then some NVRs still won't do motion record. Is there any NVRs out there that will do motion recording with any onvif camera like the sunluxy I had.
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any NVRs out there that will do motion recording with any onvif camera like the sunluxy I had.
Doesn't it more depend on the camera being able to supply the ONVIF motion event notifications?
Hikvision NVRs can do motion event recording from ONVIF cameras that support it.

gmo78

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I have an Hikvision nvr-108m-a, and 4 cameras of different brands, 2 of them support onvif protocol. I have to say that this nvr is compatible only with the 2 onvif cam (wanscam hw0052 and Escam Q8), moreover the nvr can't support motion event notification with none of them. Both cam have a motion event notification that can work stand alone.
It looks like the cheapest ipcam that works well with this nvr is Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I.
If I could go back, I will look for a more Chinese nvr that is probably more compatible, WITH an input/output signal for the house alarm.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Both cam have a motion event notification that can work stand alone.
But perhaps not specifically able to generate ONVIF event notifications.
You can check if the cameras do provide ONVIF motion event notifications with ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
Give ODM some valid logon credentials (top left of the window) and it will find the ONVIF devices automatically.
Check out if you get motion events on the Events page, and check the Rules supported also.

gmo78

n3wb
Reaction score
I had to add the wanscann on port 554 as you said, with generic rtsp (the stream path had to report the stream 1 written in this way: /1). The NVR got the escam Q8 much easily, while the other 2 cameras haven't rtsp stream.