NVR with specific futures

dre2007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am quite new to this forum so please correct me when I am not complying to house rules.

Recenlty I bought a Wanscam which I think is pretty good ( besides the stupid uPNP which I dislike ) and I am planning to monitor a block in my neighbourhood.
Example; I want to place 20 camera's facing the street on differenthouses so different portforwardings need to be made.

I would like to have a NVR/Software appliance which is able to connect to IP addresses instead of directly connect my UTP cable in the DVR ( not possible to connect directly because of geographic distance ).
The NVR/software appliance also needs to be able to conenct to an ISCSI target which will be a 10TB NAS and furthermore the NVR/Appliance needs to have the following options;
- Motion detect
- Record options and speficify different options for overwrite ( example; 1 camera needs to be able to store up to 500GB and automatically overwrite old recordings once limit reached, other camera needs to be able to record up to 1 TB and also overwrite the oldest data once limit is reached ).
- Alarm via SMS,Email or an application on mobile device ( application push is prefered ) <-- but also specify per camera the person who needs to be alerted and multiple alert contact must be possible.
- PTZ options via app on mobile phone
- Stable system which can run day and night without any reboot
- Able to reconnect to the cameras over internet once connection is lost due to internet failure on camera site/powerfailure
- Most importantly login directly via webbrowser on the NVR / computerappliance to configure it all

I understand this is a big list but the stores that I asked via email for reply aren't responding... :-(

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction ( please be aware I am a newb in this so please, clarify which you suggest what you suggest ).

Regards,

André

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi André

Sounds like you need a "cloud" based solution, a virtual NVR.

I don't know that space well, but that is what I would look for.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wanscam is junk... You will also be compromising the network security of all your neighbors by port forwarding...

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with @mat200 , I think you'll need to go to a cloud based service.

Recommend contacting Eagle Eye Networks. They are now the biggest player in the space. We use them for multi-site cameras for our HOA. Basically an appliance bridge goes inline and feeds everything to the cloud service. From there you can accomplish pretty much everything you require with no hardware costs or maintenance.

dre2007

n3wb
Reaction score
@mat200 & Bigredfish, thanks for your replies, I will look into that.
@fenderman, what do you think you accomplished with your reply and you are even a staff member. I don't see any threat in opening ports on modems with an IP based ACL in the firewall. Furthermore, your comment doesn't answer any of my questions nor do you even explain why it is compromising security. Port opening is not per see a security threat, only if you open a port for all public IP's.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@mat200 & Bigredfish, thanks for your replies, I will look into that.
@fenderman, what do you think you accomplished with your reply and you are even a staff member. I don't see any threat in opening ports on modems with an IP based ACL in the firewall. Furthermore, your comment doesn't answer any of my questions nor do you even explain why it is compromising security. Port opening is not per see a security threat, only if you open a port for all public IP's.
I am accomplishing preventing an incompetent fool from compromising 20 of his neighbors networks....this forum provides tough love - no safe spaces. Dont like it leave. There are many threads that discuss the issues related to port forwarding despite your silly attempt to use an acl.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. IP based ACL in the firewall...
Happy to help, with a cloud based solution recommend looking at VPN support, as the IPs of the service may flux / change.

dre2007

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman you can talk all you want but once again... no facts, no arguments and your are a staff member? @mat200 is using facts and informs me of changing public IPS. He gives me some good intell in which I can think about DynDNS. Thanks @mat200
@fenderman, just tell us why portforwarding and IP based firewalls wont suffice and if you have a valid point I will be the first person letting you know when I am wrong. However, I think I can predict your reply...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

dre2007

n3wb
Reaction score
Well good job fenderman. Just what I expected just another random message without arguments. Why don't you just proof me wrong with arguments. I really want to learn from people. Sorry that I didn't find any articile on this forum which tells me why I am wrong, why don't you just tell me in brief why I am wrong? I am confident that I am right. If someone asks me why he is wrong ( just like I ask you ) I would tell him and help him out instead of telling him that it can be found all over the web. He will thank you if you are right and in case I am wrong, I learned again. Trust me, been there done that.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So any other guys out there just joining, if you happen to read this, this is an example of what NOT to do.
Joining this forum, asking for advice, then getting into an argument straight away with a Staff Member.
Ok, I'll go away now and watch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well good job fenderman. Just what I expected just another random message without arguments. Why don't you just proof me wrong with arguments. I really want to learn from people. Sorry that I didn't find any articile on this forum which tells me why I am wrong, why don't you just tell me in brief why I am wrong? I am confident that I am right. If someone asks me why he is wrong ( just like I ask you ) I would tell him and help him out instead of telling him that it can be found all over the web. He will thank you if you are right and in case I am wrong, I learned again. Trust me, been there done that.
You're not only wrong but at technically inept fool and danger to your neighbors...hopefully they will read this thread. Why dont YOU go read the threads discussing port forwarding and learn something...I really dont care what you do at this point, the objective here is to warn others....when your "system" is hacked and your neighbors have issues with you, you will learn the trouble with being a pompous idiot.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is this fancy new tech that is called google, you can learn all sorts of things with it.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Likewise, you can warn people of security issues, but you can't make them use proper procedures.

Years ago at work, there was a guy that said he used port forwarding to VNC on is computer at home. I gave him advice that he shouldn't do that, and that even VNC said you shouldn't do that. I let him know how he could do it securely with SSH, but he told me VNC had a password, so he was good. I've learned in life not to argue with fools, it's fruitless.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There does appear to be a plethora of muppets around at the moment upload_2017-8-22_15-35-31.gif my new response...