NVR5208-4KS2 dead?

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all,

Received my new NVR5208-4KS2 along with some new cameras this afternoon.
However, the nvr won’t power up.
Tried different power sockets with no luck. Opened it up to check if there were any lose cables or anything but no luck
No lights, the fan’s not moving and no boot screen appears.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Received my new NVR5208-4KS2 along with some new cameras this afternoon.
However, the nvr won’t power up.
Tried different power sockets with no luck. Opened it up to check if there were any lose cables or anything but no luck
No lights, the fan’s not moving and no boot screen appears.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks!
Hi @Aajjoo

NVR back .. did you power on the unit with the switch on the back?

Also.. don't know if it is the case here, PC power supply have a switch sometimes for USA power vs EU power .. wondering if there is a similar switch on the Power Supply Unit here ( PSU )

1634343927017.png

UPDATE: the above picture is for the NVR with 8 PoE ports .. see the thread for the NVR w/o PoE ports
( see post NVR5208-4KS2 dead? )

Last edited:

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The 10 year-old criminal mastermind behind this mystery came clean this morning :banghead:
Apparently, while I got something he hooked up the NVR to the power adapter that came with the Poe switch which I guess is the reason the NVR won’t work, that it fried it?
Does that sound like the probable cause or do I need to look elsewhere to solve this mystery?

The weekly allowance is as of today withdrawn.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 10 year-old criminal mastermind behind this mystery came clean this morning :banghead:
Apparently, while I got something he hooked up the NVR to the power adapter that came with the Poe switch which I guess is the reason the NVR won’t work, that it fried it?
Does that sound like the probable cause or do I need to look elsewhere to solve this mystery?

The weekly allowance is as of today withdrawn.
So it DOES have an external power supply, which is likely 12VDC and the POE switch power supply, if external as well, is likely 48 to as much as 60 VDC.

I'm surprised that both power supplies have the same size DC output plug that would allow that.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, so we can declare my brand new NVR dead then?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
the question is
WHY did you plug this power supply into it ???????????????????????????????????????????

and now make the bitchmove... open an RMA case :mad:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a shame, Aajjoo. I can say, that without a doubt, if I were that 10 year old I wouldn't be sitting comfortably for a few days at least when my Dad got done and maybe a few more after my Mom got done.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, now that we’ve concluded that the brand new $260 nvr is fried thanks to our in-house tech wiz-kid, is it worth repairing?

I’m pretty sure I can’t find anyone around here that can repair it, my best shot is honestly to send it back to Andy but shipping is not free and whatever it costs to repair maybe adds up being equally expensive?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
First contact Andy. He may be able to save junior's bacon. If not I'd just spring for another one, complete unit with a hard drive because there's no way to know what got fried. Maybe, someday, you can find someone to have a look at the dead one and see if it can be repaired or what can be salvaged safely.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First contact Andy. He may be able to save junior's bacon. If not I'd just spring for another one, complete unit with a hard drive because there's no way to know what got fried. Maybe, someday, you can find someone to have a look at the dead one and see if it can be repaired or what can be salvaged safely.
I’ve sent him a message explaining the situation so we’ll see if anything can be salvaged.
Otherwise, I’ll just get a new one and let junior “repair” the fried one

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - The back of the NVR5208-4KS2 ( no PoE ports, just NVR for recording )

Notice the power supply is external ( AC/ DC adapter ), vs the NVRs which have internal power supply units.

The barrel socket takes the power, and in this case we have an issue where some plugged in a AC / DC power supply which proved the incorrect voltage ( and thus we suspect a possible issue )

1634409590362.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - The back of the NVR5208-4KS2 ( no PoE ports, just NVR for recording )

Notice the power supply is external ( AC/ DC adapter ), vs the NVRs which have internal power supply units.

The barrel socket takes the power, and in this case we have an issue where some plugged in a AC / DC power supply which proved the incorrect voltage ( and thus we suspect a possible issue )
Yep, that's the unit I was looking at from the model # in his first post. :cool: