NVR5208-8P-4KS2E setup questions

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello, current Blue Iris user, new to Dahua NVR. I recently purchased a NVR5208-8P-4KS2E and 4 IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras. This is going to be installed at relatives house. I am wondering how much I can do at my location as far as setup of the NVR and cameras? I know the default IP's of all the Dahua equipment is 192.168.1.108. Can or should I set this up on my network (or no network) to configure the cameras? How will the NVR deal with cameras that initially have the same IP addrresses? Perhaps I log into each camera web interface and manually assign a new static IP address prior to connecting to the NVR? Looking for and tips to make this setup go smooth. Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, current Blue Iris user, new to Dahua NVR. I recently purchased a NVR5208-8P-4KS2E and 4 IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras. This is going to be installed at relatives house. I am wondering how much I can do at my location as far as setup of the NVR and cameras? I know the default IP's of all the Dahua equipment is 192.168.1.108. Can or should I set this up on my network (or no network) to configure the cameras? How will the NVR deal with cameras that initially have the same IP addrresses? Perhaps I log into each camera web interface and manually assign a new static IP address prior to connecting to the NVR? Looking for and tips to make this setup go smooth. Thanks in advance!
HI @just some dude

You can setup the NVR and cameras on a bench at your place before you install them. This is what I would do.

If the NVR and camera's firmware is up to date: The cameras should hopefully plug and play into the NVR. ( mine did.. but it was awhile ago .. so not certain if much has changed on that )

I'd give it a try and let us know if that works. If it does not, we should have notes on it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't plug it into your network. Do it all offline.

When you plug the cameras into the NVR, the NVR will assign IP addresses to the cameras automatically on the 10.x.x.x range.

Keep track of which port each camera goes to because it assigns it to the port and if you plug them in elsewhere, then you will pull your hair out and will end up factory resetting everything and starting over.

Follow this guide to make your life easy.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't plug it into your network. Do it all offline.

When you plug the cameras into the NVR, the NVR will assign IP addresses to the cameras automatically on the 10.x.x.x range.

Keep track of which port each camera goes to because it assigns it to the port and if you plug them in elsewhere, then you will pull your hair out and will end up factory resetting everything and starting over.

Follow this guide to make your life easy.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Opened the NVR today to put in my bare drive (3.5"). Didn't realize there was not going to be a mount included. Appears that I need a drive mount that is threaded on the bottom, is that correct?

Attachments

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I've come across a stumbling block. While I can view the camera on port 1, I cannot log into it via web. Camera on port 1 wants to use IP address 192.168.1.253: 10080. From what I understand :10080 is blocked by web browsers nowadays, how are people getting around using port one when it defaults to 10080? I've tried Edge and Chrome browsers so far.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try Explorer or Pale Moon.
Well, I'm left wondering if it's even save to use that port knowing that it has been disabled due to security risks?

"Google Chrome is now blocking HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP access to TCP port 10080 to prevent the ports from being abused in NAT Slipstreaming 2.0 attacks. "

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So everyone is fine using a port that has been blacklisted due to attacks? I may just not use that port... I can't be the only one concerned about this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is the bots have port sniffers that can scan them in seconds. So changing to a different port means a potential attack is delayed a fraction of a millisecond. All the blocking does is make someone feel good that the browser is taking security threats seriously, but it can be breached regardless of the port number if the object using the port has poor security on it.

And ironically security cameras/NVRs have a history of not being very secure when it comes to internet attacks...

It is why most of us have our cameras isolated from the internet so that they cannot be breached.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem is the bots have port sniffers that can scan them in seconds. So changing to a different port means a potential attack is delayed a fraction of a millisecond. All the blocking does is make someone feel good that the browser is taking security threats seriously, but it can be breached regardless of the port number if the object using the port has poor security on it.

And ironically security cameras/NVRs have a history of not being very secure when it comes to internet attacks...

It is why most of us have our cameras isolated from the internet so that they cannot be breached.
Understand, what's next block the 10081, 10082, 10083 and so on? For ease of use, I'll just start with port 2 on the NVR..

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I cant seem to simply move the camera to different ports on the NVR, still assigns the cameras in order starting from 10080.

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay, I'm probably going to have all sorts of questions on setup of this n v r. There are next to no instructions. I will start with the time stamp and alarm symbol in the upper right corner as shown in the photo. I cannot make that go away so I assume is the date and time stamp of the nvr and red bell indicator means what, that it is armed and will detect events?

Attachments

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious, how well do wifi cameras play with this NVR (NVR5208-8P-4KS2E)? I have one location not accessible vie POE. Any suggestions on which one for outdoor use?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is almost always a way to run ethernet cable. Wifi for security cameras sucks many times over, it has nothing to do with using an NVR, but everything to do with Wifi.
You can make any cam wireless, by using something like this: (it's not wifi)

Also read this if you haven't.
***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch | IP Cam Talk
So, if I'm understanding the NanoStation®M correct, I would need a two pack , as shown in the link you provided, no other equipment necessary for one poe powered camera? The NanoStation®M has a poe injector on the power supply?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, I'm at the resting site for the system. Currently CAN log into the NVR via a desktop connected to same network. I cannot however PING the NVR. I was led to this problem due to email test failing. I will admit, my networking experience is limited. I have looked through the Dahua wiki and through this forum. Any ideas? Per the instruction in the PSA for Dahua NVR's, I did not ever enable P2P

Settings in the NVR
PPPoE off
DDNS off
UPnP off
SNMP off
Multicast off

NVR does not show up in the list of connected devices in the router (ATT)

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks
I followed the PSA, *On initial setup for the NVR and cameras, DO NOT enable P2P in the popup that asks you this. Uncheck that along with Auto updates.

Is this why I cannot reach the machine with a ping? Do I need to enable P2P?