NVR6A08-64-4KS2???

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Bought this special order from my wholesaler for a huge job (biggest weve ever done)

This should be a 64CH NVR - on the back - there is no RJ45 Jacks for cameras?? There is only 2 RJ45 jacks in the back for input.

Am I to assume I need a POE switch for these cameras and that all these cameras jump over via one patch cable to this NVR? Most every NVR we've ever installed has RJ45 jacks for every camera - I'm not understanding this.

If do I need a POE switch - which POE switch do I need?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
You will In Fact need a POE switch for that.

SPEC SHEET---->

EDIT: Sorry did not see you were looking for Andy Or Looney on this, but depending on the job you are doing, and how many cams you are Installing and the power budget you need will dictate the size and locations of your POE switches, If I had 2 floors, I would use 2 switches, and utilize the two Nics on that unit.

Last edited:

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You will In Fact need a POE switch for that.

SPEC SHEET---->

EDIT: Sorry did not see you were looking for Andy Or Looney on this, but depending on the job you are doing, and how many cams you are Installing and the power budget you need will dictate the size and locations of your POE switches, If I had 2 floors, I would use 2 switches, and utilize the two Nics on that unit.
I have 45 cameras - and 3 floors. All run with CAT6 Plenum.

Camera models: 35pcs N44CL52 & 10pcs N44CG52

I have tentatively purchased NETGEAR GS752TP switch... but I gotta be honest... I don't have a clue if this thing has enough juice. see here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCBRRHS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I think it should be alright? because the spec sheets for each camera are like 5watts per camera power because they're EPOE - and that works out to about 9 watts per channel if you divide 380W/45 channels. but I gotta be honest - I don't have a clue. Please help?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
3 floors eh ? Did you plan on home runs back to your switch, thats a LOT of cable to be dragging down to the POE switch, I have in the past done jobs where I use a smaller POE switch on every floor and only have to run 1 cable from each floor to a uplink in my bottom POE switch near the NVR. That is just me because I have found out time is $$$ and cabling is a pain in the butt and VERY time consuming and besides did say I hate running cable.

I have used these with GREAT results
------> IPCamPower IPCP-16P2G-AF2 16 Port POE Switch W/ 2 Gigabit Uplinks for IP Security Cameras

That switch by the math should run them. Did you plan on a rack and using a punch down panel ? Just wondering what your networking plans are or if you made a drawing of your plan, would like to see it.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3 floors eh ? Did you plan on home runs back to your switch, thats a LOT of cable to be dragging down to the POE switch, I have in the past done jobs where I use a smaller POE switch on every floor and only have to run 1 cable from each floor to a uplink in my bottom POE switch near the NVR. That is just me because I have found out time is $$$ and cabling is a pain in the butt and VERY time consuming and besides did say I hate running cable.

I have used these with GREAT results
------> IPCamPower IPCP-16P2G-AF2 16 Port POE Switch W/ 2 Gigabit Uplinks for IP Security Cameras

That switch by the math should run them. Did you plan on a rack and using a punch down panel ? Just wondering what your networking plans are or if you made a drawing of your plan, would like to see it.
yes. It’s rack mounted with a punch down panel. Will just patch wires between the punch down and the switch. Even bought color coded patch wires for inside and outside. Should look pretty professional.

we plan on home runs - but that’s a very good idea I’m going to discuss with my main installer tomorrow. This building is an old bomb shelter - everything is cinderblock walls. Putting another switch upstairs or downstairs and running one wire may make our lives way easier.

will take better pictures on the job tomorrow.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@c hris527 @looney2ns

so we made all our home runs rather easy through the whole building. didn’t find a need to run a separate switch.

Although - this is my first go around with a POE switch since this is the largest system we’ve ever done (previous was 32CH)

my concern is this - 4 of these runs are about 400’. I knew we’d have some long ones, which is why I ran cat6 instead of cat5.

Do you predict their being issues with the cameras getting juice from this POE switch?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@c hris527 @looney2ns

so we made all our home runs rather easy through the whole building. didn’t find a need to run a separate switch.

Although - this is my first go around with a POE switch since this is the largest system we’ve ever done (previous was 32CH)

my concern is this - 4 of these runs are about 400’. I knew we’d have some long ones, which is why I ran cat6 instead of cat5.

Do you predict their being issues with the cameras getting juice from this POE switch?
All you can do is give it a go. If all of your crimps are good, you might get away with it.....some do.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@looney2ns

Additionally, since this is new to me - can I put each wire where ever on the punch down block and into the POE switch - and then re-order inside NVR?

I’m sorry I’m such a rookie - the lack of ports in the back are really throwing me off.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and if it doesn’t work - my solution is to buy a heavier duty POE switch?
No, you will need to add another POE switch at the approx middle of the cable run. This acts as a booster.
It could have issue's that are not power related.
Hope you kept the ethernet cables away from ac power feeds at least 12" or crossed them at 90 degree's.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
@c hris527 @looney2ns

You are breaching Data Limits let alone POE Limits, If I had to come in behind somebody and saw the 400' runs and thing's were not working, The first thing I would say is 'What Dumbass did this" The Quality of your work will spread fast, Good and Bad. Now you know my opinion of that, Put the Midspan in and you will never have to worry about it.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, you will need to add another POE switch at the approx middle of the cable run. This acts as a booster.
It could have issue's that are not power related.
Hope you kept the ethernet cables away from ac power feeds at least 12" or crossed them at 90 degree's.
Most are crossed at 90 degrees. With this building - it's almost impossible.

Building is an old bomb shelter - all walls are cinderblock. In basement, they retrofitted ceilings with probably 3" thick plaster, reinforced with chicken wire - and all held together with steel beams.

We're going to end up cutting 4 seperate access hatches just to get wires to our farthest location. 2 of those hatches are probably 15-20' in the air.

If I have to run another Switch somewhere in the middle - I guess we'll have to do that. It is what it is at this point - this whole job is a learning experience.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are breaching Data Limits let alone POE Limits, If I had to come in behind somebody and saw the 400' runs and thing's were not working, The first thing I would say is 'What Dumbass did this" The Quality of your work will spread fast, Good and Bad. Now you know my opinion of that, Put the Midspan in and you will never have to worry about it.
I feel you there - but we won't be leaving until everything is working correctly. If they call us back with issues on the long runs, we'll know then to add another switch.

Part of the reason we do not want to run another switch is:
1. The company plans to expand the building footprint in the near future, and will want to add more cameras. (site plans are not solidified, so we can't plan around it)
2. Anywhere we locate this extra POE switch is near the office, where the current POE switch is located - and also near where they would be theoretically be expanding the building.
3. We're maxed out on this 48 port switch almost (45 cameras) - and we only have two ports in the back of the NVR for input. So, one port is taken up by this switch and the second port will be reserved for the addition of the building and possibly adding another switch.

According to Dahua ePOE - I don't think I should have a problem with these runs. It's claiming these numbers over CAT5E/CAT6:

Cable Length, m (ft)
Bandwidth (Mbps)
PoE Load Capacity (W)
Hi-PoE Load Capacity (W)
Working Mode
100 (328')​
100​
25.5​
53​
IEEE/E100​
200 (656')​
100​
25.5​
33​
E100​

These cameras are all Dahua ePOE and the NVR is Dahua ePOE - so if what they claim is true - I think I should be in the clear?

I don't know - my head hurts thinking about it.

You've had good luck with the IPCAMPOWER switches? I was looking at their 48 port, but since I've never heard of the brand - I steered clear. Theoretically, we could add 2 48 port switches? its a 64CH setup, and split between the two? - it will be more overhead on my end - but if there's an issue, that may be our solution? All in all, at this point in time - there is really no good location to locate a separate switch - if we can get away without, I would love to go that direction.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
If Everything is ePOE you should be ok, I have used the NVR's with it but Not the cams yet.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I just went online and ordered 4 repeaters for these long runs. Just in case.

I’ll let you guys know how it shakes out.
It would be interesting to see If those long runs work (EPOE) will work with a standard poe switch, I wonder if you need a Dahua Epoe switch with that setup to get the distance you are looking for, I know the ePOE's NVRs have that baked into them, I wonder if @EMPIRETECANDY would know this., Your repeaters should work fine, I have been your route before and ended up using a few power injectors mid way on a few long runs, good luck either way you will be OK.

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see If those long runs work (EPOE) will work with a standard poe switch, I wonder if you need a Dahua Epoe switch with that setup to get the distance you are looking for, I know the ePOE's NVRs have that baked into them, I wonder if @EMPIRETECANDY would know this., Your repeaters should work fine, I have been your route before and ended up using a few power injectors mid way on a few long runs, good luck either way you will be OK.
something tells me we’ll be fine. The wires aren’t permanently run yet - so they’re not cut to ultimate length.

im going to for sure read the cat6 wiring to see how long the runs are though. That’s for sure. The 400’ is an estimate.