NVRs & ONVIF

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased a Grandstream NVR (GVR3552.) They claim that it's ONVIF compliant, but it works well enough with Grandstream cameras, which I already had on-hand. All is well.

Then I needed to add a different kind of source to the installation. It's the output of a device that's presented as a 1080p60 stream via an HDMI connection.

So I purchase an ONVIF compliant encoder with and HDMI input. I've verified that it handles the input well. I can see the output stream on my network using tiny cam monitor pro, Blue Iris and Sighthound.

However, it turns out that the Grandstream NVRs are not ONVIF compliant, despite their claims. I've had confirmation of this fact from their senior management.

I'd rather not use a computer in this installation, which is quite remote, not easily accessible. Does anyone know of a small NVR is that IS ONVIF compliant?

I need to record just 3-4 cameras (all running 720p15) only 4-5 hours a day.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive tried a few random cheap china cameras against my Dahua NVR they seem to work fine via onvif..

you can also specify RTSP/HTTP streams manually if that fails for some reason

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive tried a few random cheap china cameras against my Dahua NVR they seem to work fine via onvif..

you can also specify RTSP/HTTP streams manually if that fails for some reason
Thanks for that insight. I was able to locate a small OEM model made by Dahua that might be just the perfect solution. Expecting it to be delivered today.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This little NVR doesn't seem to do what I need. It's an NVR3108. It scans my network and finds my ONVIF sources, but it doesn't seem to connect correctly.

The Grandstream cameras are all ONVIF v2.02. Could that be a problem? The HD H264 encoder is ONVIF v2.2.

How does your NVR allow manual setup of an RTSP stream? could you post a screenshot?

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Argh! This little unit is apparently a model from 2013. It looks nothing like that. It was only $100. It may hafta be returned.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mine's a 4216-4k, ive used a few chinese cameras via both ONVIF and manual RTSP stream and both worked fine.. I got video to record and playback, thats all I was after.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Before I return this device I should perhaps try to update it's firmware. It's supposed to be an OEM version of the NVR3018 from 2013, made for Kenuco.

The docs say I should looks to kenuco.com from firmware updates. However, I cannot find anything there. Would Dahua have an update?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Before I return this device I should perhaps try to update it's firmware. It's supposed to be an OEM version of the NVR3018 from 2013, made for Kenuco.
If you can return it, do so. That's an old model and you will not get any current firmwares for it.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sending it back today. Can someone suggest an affordable model that will do what I need? It only needs to do the following:
  • Record 4 streams @720p15
  • Accept ONVIF sources
  • Perform daily scheduled recording

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this is an actual, supported Dahua model?

DHI-HCVR7104H-S2

I see one offered open-box. I think it'll do what I need.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats an analogue CVI DVR, I highly doubt thats what you want... get a normal IP one.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if this is an actual, supported Dahua model?

DHI-HCVR7104H-S2
Actual? No. Supported? Depends on what that means for you.
Old model. After this one came the 7104H-S3, and currently there is XVR7104 (4in1 unit) and HCVR7104H-4M (HDCVI up to 4MP).

You said you needed ONVIF support, I am not sure if 7104H-S2 had it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do u have analog or CVI? if not then you dont need a tribid and your wasting your time/money

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just ordered a NVR4104-P for $164. It's twice the cost of the open box DHI-HCVR7104H-S2, but it appears to be a current model.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
do u have analog or CVI? if not then you dont need a tribid and your wasting your time/money
In truth, the site where this will be installed does have some existing CVI cameras and a separate NVR. I wasn't setting out to replace those since my project is entirely separate. I could recommend that they by a 3/4/5-brid NVR and replace the old one.

I'd prefer to just get something small and inexpensive to address my one specific need. My project is more about process monitoring than traditional security. I'm recording 1-2 cameras and the output of some instrumentation that's been encoded to an ONVIF H.264 stream.

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The NVR4104-P arrived. I have a drive installed and it is successfully recording from both the camera and the HDMI encoder.

I still have one question about it. There's an RCA audio input. Is it possible to record this input along with the IP sources?

Michael Graves

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd like to figure out how record an audio stream along with the camera. I know that the camera can supply audio as a G.711 stream. That's pretty low quality. Can anyone think of a way to capture better quality audio? Even if I had to add it as another camera (of sorts.)