NVR's OS

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After months and months of research I have settled on a company that sells a NVR without POE switch. I'm considering 4 outdoor POE cameras and maybe 2 outdoor wireless cameras.

My question is: Which OS should I have them install, Windows 10 or Ubuntu?

Why?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
After months and months of research I have settled on a company that sells a NVR without POE switch. I'm considering 4 outdoor POE cameras and maybe 2 outdoor wireless cameras.

My question is: Which OS should I have them install, Windows 10 or Ubuntu?

Why?
Lol, you can't run either....NVR will run it's own

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Michael,

Welcome to the forum!
Can you provide a link to the NVR you're considering?

Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Fastb, what say you in my considering an OS for this PC?
you cannot run sightound on unbutu...what VMS software have they promised you with unbutu?
Once again, I cannot stress this enough...dont use a nuc for vms and certainly dont overpay those schmucks...

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you cannot run sightound on unbutu
You are so right. In my excitement I forgot SightHound isn't ported to Linux.

I have a Hackintosh but I don't want to run it 24/7/365.

Can you recommend a NVR solution with dedicated POE switch? I thought I saw a Linux NVR (contrary to what you said). Are they all made in China?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Michael,

Thanks for the links, that sheds light on your question.
1st: an Intel NUC isn't an NVR. (I see you corrected your initial post to say PC instead of NVR)

Let's back up. Your 1st decision is NVR vs PC. If NVR, then top choices: Hik or Dahua. If PC, best choice is BI.
Next: if PC w/ BI, fenderman is the guy you gotta listen to. Walks on water, tho he can leave a wake, LOL, cuz of his low BS & ignorance tolerance. Which is fine w/ me.

I use an NVR. That said, that NUC approach (your link) looks underpowered. It may be lame. $1,300 is a lot for what I saw.
Personally, I think you'd do well to research this forum. You're going down a newbie path that many, many, many others have traveled. Every basic question you have has been answered before. Finding that info is faster than posting a question and waiting for an answer.
eg: look for what hardware people are using for a BI system.
Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris | IP Cam Talk

After months and months of research I have settled on a company that sells a PC without POE switch.
Months and months? Really? Most PCs don't have embedded POE switches. But maybe you're in another country...
Every Intel NUC I've dealt with only had ethernet, not POE

I'm considering 4 outdoor POE cameras and maybe 2 outdoor wireless cameras.
Wireless cams suck. WiFi for security sucks.
Seeking advice: wifi-camera under carport
Avise needed - Camera don't support POE
IP Cameras Throttling Bandwidth

Again, newbies are always welcome! You're facing a learning curve. Demonstrate you're doing research & homework, and folks here will help you!

Fastb

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are so right. In my excitement I forgot SightHound isn't ported to Linux.

I have a Hackintosh but I don't want to run it 24/7/365.

Can you recommend a NVR solution with dedicated POE switch? I thought I saw a Linux NVR (contrary to what you said) are they all made in China?
They don't run true Linux..it's a proprietary os.... you can't modify it.. why do you want built in Poe...it's a negative not positive

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Michael,

Can you recommend a NVR solution with dedicated POE switch?
Forum members could recommend. Forum members have. Forum members have discussed ad naseum. Do the research. Ya gotta help yourself before I give any more help.

Regards,
Fastb

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fastb:

I'm smiling. Yes, PCs don't have POEs. In my rush to change NVR to PC I failed to correct the whole sentence. My bad. I will peruse the site before I post any more questions. I don't want to make another home surveillance solution mistake.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I said "dedicated POE", you said "built in POE it's a negative". Are we in agreement?
When you say dedicated you mean separate and distinct? If yes then yes.... there are many threads discussing Poe switches

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
As fenderman said, "huh?" Wotcha mean?

a dedicated switch will shorten my cable runs
Wow, news to me! If I used multiple dedicated switches, could I avoid pulling cable runs thru attics?
A switch handles data. Copper cable gets from point A to pt B

when the switch goes out, I'll have to send he whole unit in.
1st: switch goes out? a blue moon event.
2nd: "send he whole unit in". As versus sending a partial unit in?

Lastly, built in POE has negatives, if you go down the NVR route (as versus the PC route). It's not clear yet which path you're taking.

I will peruse the site before I post any more questions.
Seems you broke your promise....
Michael, your vague questions and apparent lack of doing your groundwork to answer your questions is a turn-off to me. Sure it's easy to ask others to help you. Me? I will do the work to help myself before asking others to lend me a hand. YMMV.

Later,
Fastb

Mikentosh2017

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say dedicated you mean separate and distinct?
Yes, that's what I meant and, to my dismay, most I've seen are not that way. Most are incorporated into the NVR.

I will peruse the site for 1 week before posting any questions. Sorry to waste your time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I meant and, to my dismay, most I've seen are not that way. Most are incorporated into the NVR.

I will peruse the site for 1 week before posting any questions. Sorry to waste your time.
That is incorrect..most models are available both ways.... consider a pc based VMS ... much more flexible...