Object detection highlighting

R0tten

n3wb
Reaction score
Take a look at the photo please. As you can see the rectangle highlighting does show the places where it detects motion. Great. However.... it's very annoying being all over the place. I am trying to learn to like BlueIris as I'm coming through from Sighthound. Sighthound's rectangle highlighting is spot on and highlights the entire object as "one" object, see photo please. I would like to get BlueIris to track the object without scattering rectangles. Almost like a people, object or animal detection method is used instead of looking at JUST pixels like Blue Iris seems to be. What does the green and red rectangle indicate anyway? Help?

sighthound.png BlueIris.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the photo please. As you can see the rectangle highlighting does show the places where it detects motion. Great. However.... it's very annoying being all over the place. I am trying to learn to like BlueIris as I'm coming through from Sighthound. Sighthound's rectangle highlighting is spot on and highlights the entire object as "one" object, see photo please. I would like to get BlueIris to track the object without scattering rectangles. Almost like a people, object or animal detection method is used instead of looking at JUST pixels like Blue Iris seems to be. What does the green and red rectangle indicate anyway? Help?

View attachment 17213 View attachment 17214
It is highlighting where it sees pixel changes...thats how it works....you dont have to look at them, they are intended to be disabled.
the red indicates the object triggered the camera based on the on your motion settings and object detection settings.

R0tten

n3wb
Reaction score
HEY! Thanks for the super fast response. I use the rectangle highlighting as it's easier to view the detected objects via a mobile phone's screencapture and when reviewing footage. It's also helpful when using sighthound since that software has detection methods for; people, animals, cars, etc. So sighthound doesn't just look at the pixels.. it also analyzes them for the type of motion it detected and will highlight the entire object as one. Does BlueIris have this feature?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HEY! Thanks for the super fast response. I use the rectangle highlighting as it's easier to view the detected objects via a mobile phone's screencapture and when reviewing footage. It's also helpful when using sighthound since that software has detection methods for; people, animals, cars, etc. So sighthound doesn't just look at the pixels.. it also analyzes them for the type of motion it detected and will highlight the entire object as one. Does BlueIris have this feature?
No..blue iris does not have a people detection algorithm..if you look at the sighthound forums you will find that this is not very reliable..
if you cant see a person or object and need a box to highlight it, you need to see an eye doctor..
Blue iris effectively uses zones, zone crossing and object detection based on size to limit false alerts.

R0tten

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't really been on the Sighthound forums much but my 5+ years of experience using the Sighthound application has been highly successful. Sure it isn't perfect (lol.. what is?) but I'd say it's about 85-95 % successful at identifying people, animals, cars, etc.... So why am I looking at Blue Iris then? Price. Comparison? I want to know my options. Idk lol.

I appreciate your help, and yes I do need to see an eye doctor since I only have one working eye, thanks. However not the point. The point is when motion is detected I get a screenshot and feel I shouldn't need to spend 2-3 minutes studying the picture, on a mobile phone, only to find that a tree blowing some leaves set off the motion.. when I can have the tree branch highlighted with a rectangle that shows the motion. This way I only have to look at the picture for mere seconds to find the object where the system sees motion and know it's a false alert. In the past I didn't have this ability with other programs and was always frustrated when "motion was detected!" and after reviewing the screencap for several minutes that it was just a tree branch moving. There were other times I almost skipped over the screencap when there was a small figure (person) that was detected but I didn't see it at first look.

I understand now that Blue Iris does not have object detection type algorithms and that it's probably not going to work for my needs, given the scattered rectangle highlighting, but I appreciate any further information.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't really been on the Sighthound forums much but my 5+ years of experience using the Sighthound application has been highly successful. Sure it isn't perfect (lol.. what is?) but I'd say it's about 85-95 % successful at identifying people, animals, cars, etc.... So why am I looking at Blue Iris then? Price. Comparison? I want to know my options. Idk lol.

I appreciate your help, and yes I do need to see an eye doctor since I only have one working eye, thanks. However not the point. The point is when motion is detected I get a screenshot and feel I shouldn't need to spend 2-3 minutes studying the picture, on a mobile phone, only to find that a tree blowing some leaves set off the motion.. when I can have the tree branch highlighted with a rectangle that shows the motion. This way I only have to look at the picture for mere seconds to find the object where the system sees motion and know it's a false alert. In the past I didn't have this ability with other programs and was always frustrated when "motion was detected!" and after reviewing the screencap for several minutes that it was just a tree branch moving. There were other times I almost skipped over the screencap when there was a small figure (person) that was detected but I didn't see it at first look.

I appreciate any further information.
2-3 minuets studying the picture? makes no sense...
furthermore, when using direct to disk which is required for multiple high res cameras, the rectangles will not appear in saved video..
if you want the type of detection sighthound provides you will need to stick with it..

R0tten

n3wb
Reaction score
2-3 minuets studying the picture? makes no sense...
furthermore, when using direct to disk which is required for multiple high res cameras, the rectangles will not appear in saved video..
if you want the type of detection sighthound provides you will need to stick with it..
Sorry it doesn't make sense, but it's very true (for me and maybe it's like +-1 minute). It's possible the system you have is just so good that you never get false alerts? I guess I'm just paranoid when I can't find the source of the motion alert when I get the screencap on my phone? I rarely ever review the video and only review the screencaps.

It's good that the rectangles doesn't appear in the exported video. I expected it wouldn't anyway since Sighthound is the same way. Perhaps I can just get past the nuisance of these scattered rectangles, and consider the screencaps for reviewing purposes only. I will keep trying BlueIris and tweak the settings to prevent more false alerts and maybe reduce the object highlighting scattered boxes.

Do you have any recommendations for settings to use to reduce false alerts? Thanks!

Last edited: