OEM vs Retail.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buying a 25 Cam system I've decided with Hik it seems to be the best bang for the buck, many of the selelrs I find sell as Hik but then when asked they state they are OEM. Which I've read relates to service and warranty.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Would you buy OEM are they fake knok off or actual unbranded Hik's? since this is the 1st CCTV am install i've ever done I expect some complications which I may need to call Hik, therefore I'd like the support.

Any sponsers here selling Hik? I would be happy to look into them.

As for the POE

I hear Hik has a 32 port NVR 9632NI-ST
I'm confused with these products, since I have 25 cam system, which ALL will require power, will this unit perform? for all cameras.

If not and I need to buy a POE switch does it need to be Gigabyte or will 10/100 be sufficient?

Thank You for any advice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OEM and Retail are the same things basically; one is sold in bulk to installers/dealers and usually warrantied through the manufacturer if they provide it; retail is just packaged for retail/individual sale with specs and stuff printed on the box, usually warrantied through the seller if they provide it, if not you got to go thru manufacturer regardless... End sellers can offer warranties for both or neither, has little effect as they are the same.

there the exact same products except some packaging and sometimes labeling; OEM packaging being more efficient for buying in bulk and options for rebranding.. OEM Cameras will come in a brown box of minimal size with perhaps a model # printed on outside; A retail camera comes with a nice glossy color box listing features and a barcode on it.

OEM products are inherently cheaper due to cheaper packaging/shipping and bulk discounts.. they are not knockoffs if they are really Original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision will not warranty anything sold by unauthorized re-sellers. You will not get any support either. There are some sellers here who offer their own support, nellys security, wrightwood surveillance, and LTS (contact member @milkisbad for LTS products)....Check out all the sellers ask them about support and/or warranty and go with whatever makes sense to you.

Camman123

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive heard HIKVISION supply cam's to Truvision/Interlogix, is this correct? If so, are HIKVISION branded cams compatible with Truvision Navigator software? If I have a system with multiple Interlogix branded cameras, can I use HIKVISION cams moving forward, and not lose any functionality? I can see a real cost benefit. Any help greatly appreciated :indecisiveness: