Offsite (Cloud) Backups

essjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone move their recordings off site or to the cloud?

I'm playing with the idea of using ARQ + Amazon Cloud Drive to move my Blue Iris files offsite. In particular I'd only move files under 4TB which would cover me for motion alerts but not the constant recording, non-motion files.

Apparently the ACD has a fair usage policy of 200TB which should do me for a year or thereabouts as my 4TB WD Purple seems to be overwritten about once a week with the BI recordings.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone move their recordings off site or to the cloud?

I'm playing with the idea of using ARQ + Amazon Cloud Drive to move my Blue Iris files offsite. In particular I'd only move files under 4TB which would cover me for motion alerts but not the constant recording, non-motion files.

Apparently the ACD has a fair usage policy of 200TB which should do me for a year or thereabouts as my 4TB WD Purple seems to be overwritten about once a week with the BI recordings.
Don't mess with the cloud just buy a nice Western digital purple Drive you can get 4 to 6 TB for a good price . Moving files to the cloud is a waste of your isp bandwidth and your time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It wont scale and is a huge waste of bandwidth and money; why bother.. there's better ways to combat the unlikely event that your recorder gets stolen.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think if my cam vids were really important for me to archive for longer than a month or two, then I would get a TS140 Thinkserver and set up FreeNAS with WD Red drives. If fire/water/theft were concerns then I would spend a little extra and go with an IOSafe NAS and anchor it down in some hidden room where it is cool.

You must have a lot of cameras to be over-writing that often.