Oh great - another obsession!

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Greetings from Northeast PA! I started off with a potential $3k Lorex system and ended up on this wonderful site looking at NVR's. After lurking for a while, I believe I have set on a BI build (ordered the Optiplex 5040 i7-6700 from ebay). I like to tinker with things and I'm thinking BI will give me the best option over an NVR or Zonerunner. I've tried Zonerunner and MotionEye running on a Raspberry PI w/ a USB cam, but I would definitely be on my own with those. My wife is very much on board, and I really need things to work and be easy for her to use. I looked at the NVR options from Hik and Dahua and I just didn't get the feeling she could use the mobile app. Plus, I've read about weird firmware issues causing email problems, and little to no support from the vendors. At least it seems there is a cult following of Blue Iris here on the forum, so if I need help I can get it somewhere. I am really hesitant to run a Windows system as I use linux for anything that I need to be reliable. Hopefully I have not made a mistake!

I also started off thinking I could cover my house at the 4 corners with a 2.8mm camera and be able to see everything. I've learned from posts on the forum that while I can see that someone is there, I won't be able to see their features enough or read license plates. After all, that is why you have surveillance, right? I guess when your only experience with it is what you see on the TV and in movies, you need to "reset" your expectations.

At this point, I'm really struggling with where to start. I don't know if I should focus down on a vendor and make their offerings fit my needs, or focus on my needs and make them fit a vendor? I'll probably need 8 cameras, with 4 or 6mm focusing on points of ingress/egress, and maybe a 2.8mm on the back yard to "keep an eye on the kids". Should I get one of each and play around with them on BI, setting them up in different places before I buy everything I think I need? I would love to keep this down to $2000-2500.

BTW - site mods - you should really look into making some "sticky's" in a few of the forums to help out the newbies. I belong to other sites where those are invaluable to get people started and cut down on the basic questions.

Thanks!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to another NEPA resident. I'm in Luzerne Co here, whereabouts for you?

Sounds like you have a good call on the cameras and what you are gonna need. Should have no problem sticking within that budget.

And agreed on the sticky idea, Q has been saying that for awhile and I have to whole heartedly agree. Its a cause for a lot of repeated questions.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Start a thread and call it "Where to start". Let the forum community add to it, then at some point close the thread and make it a sticky.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ipcamophrenia
[eye-pee-cam-o-free-nee-uh, -freen-yuh]
Noun
Psychiatry. Also called dementia cctvia. A severe mental disorder characterized by some, but not necessarily all, of the following symptoms: insatiable surveillance camera purchases, obsessive new model lust, excessive night vision tweaking, compulsive firmware upgrading, CPU capability delusions and digital noise hallucinations.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Welcome to another NEPA resident. I'm in Luzerne Co here, whereabouts for you?

Sounds like you have a good call on the cameras and what you are gonna need. Should have no problem sticking within that budget.

And agreed on the sticky idea, Q has been saying that for awhile and I have to whole heartedly agree. Its a cause for a lot of repeated questions.
I'm from Northampton County in the Lehigh Valley. I spent a couple of years in Luzerne Co at PSU Hazleton back in '93. Good ol' Laurel Mall!

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm from Northampton County in the Lehigh Valley. I spent a couple of years in Luzerne Co at PSU Hazleton back in '93. Good ol' Laurel Mall!
Nice I worked in the Valmont Industrial Park for a few years back in 2011-2014. Aprendido a hablar espanol, if ya know what I mean.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the suggestion. There's a mess of sticky's in the Hikvision forum, but we would be glad to sticky more threads if you see any. I'll keep my eyes peeled too.

Reaction score
My wife says the same thing whenever I tell her I have an idea. I think she's become afraid of that phrase now. Regardless, welcome!