Oh, so THAT'S why I shoulda made my own cables

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So I got some premade cables, paid a good price, and was satisfied. People suggested I should make my own, but I wasn't worried about excess length, interference, pulling the cables through tiny holes or other issues.

...and then I went to put the waterproof cap between the camera and the cable. Oops. It can't be done with the connector already on. (Although it could be done with the Reolink system I just returned, with a little trimming of plastic.)

Is there a way to "unmake" a premade cable, then put it back together while still keeping the boot and strain relief, etc? I don't have a tool and I've never done this before.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I got some premade cables, paid a good price, and was satisfied. People suggested I should make my own, but I wasn't worried about excess length, interference, pulling the cables through tiny holes or other issues.

...and then I went to put the waterproof cap between the camera and the cable. Oops. It can't be done with the connector already on. (Although it could be done with the Reolink system I just returned, with a little trimming of plastic.)

Is there a way to "unmake" a premade cable, then put it back together while still keeping the boot and strain relief, etc? I don't have a tool and I've never done this before.
Hi PaulOTron,

If it is solid copper wire you can just cut off the RJ45 plug and treat the resulting end as a bulk cable end.

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
treat the resulting end as a bulk cable end
Yep. It's solid copper. Wish I knew how to do that.

If only there was some kind of world-wide "web" full of infomation that could tell me how it's done. And some kind of "store" where I could give somebody some form of "currency" in exhange for new connectors and a tool.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Guess I didn't communicate well enough. In the previous thread abut the premade cables, I said:

"If you plan on using the somewhat weatherproof plastic shield that comes with the cameras, you must add the connector yourself, without any strain relief."

Don't worry about replacing the strain relief, it won't fit. You need to spend maybe $40 for the tools and some RJ45s. I use the monoprice RJ45s with insert and think they're the easiest to use. Others use EZ connectors and think they're the best. The Monoprice connector is here: 8P8C RJ45 Plug with Inserts for Solid Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 100 pcs/pack - Monoprice.com

Then you need a crimper and stripper for sure, and a cutter unless you already have a reasonably good one that cuts clean ends on the individual wires. When you strip the wire, make sure you don't go too deep and cut a wire (been there, done that). Strip at least 2" of jacket when using the insert or EZ connectors. The wires you bought probably use 568B wiring, but verify to make sure. The monoprice connector page has a link to an installation guide. It makes it look easier than it actually is, but it's still not all that bad. Just takes time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you're serious about maintaining your network and your cams, NVRs, etc. you really need to go ahead and invest in a good RJ-45 crimp tool and learn how to do it. Like anything else, it might take a few times to get it right but it's not brain surgery.

Here's a post regarding color code of the wiring and technique ==>> here.

Also, some good info from @looney2ns ==>> here.

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you're serious about maintaining your network
LOL

Brace yourself for blasphemy: I'm not at all serious about maintaining my network. I intend to put up my system with 3 cameras at my tiny house and get on with my life. I may change cameras or the NVR over the years, but I expect my cables to stay put. Further blasphemy: I'm tempted to use the existing cables and waterproof them with a blob of epoxy putty. (Probably wouldn't work as well, so I'll probably crimp the connectors, but that's the kinda guy I am.)

Sometimes I feel like I'm just fishing with a worm on a hook, but I'm at a lake full of "serious fishermen" with fish finders and $1000 tackle boxes. I still think I'll have fun and catch fish.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not afraid to do it and I've already looked up the videos.

I've ruled out the epoxy putty thing, but there's also that tube of silicone and a handful of PVC pipe nipples in my garage. Hmmm... I don't mind saving time and money where I can.

I can hear some of you cringing from here. :winktongue:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep. It's solid copper. Wish I knew how to do that.

If only there was some kind of world-wide "web" full of infomation that could tell me how it's done. And some kind of "store" where I could give somebody some form of "currency" in exhange for new connectors and a tool.
most premade cable is not solid copper but rather stranded copper...you can simply wrap the connection in coax seal - that is what is used with the many cams that dont have the connector...

PaulOTron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
most premade cable is not solid copper but rather stranded copper...you can simply wrap the connection in coax seal - that is what is used with the many cams that dont have the connector...
X2, and I was about to say that myself. Not as pretty as the factory cap, but probably more weatherproof. The only downside I can think of is it's a pain to remove, which it sounds like you're never planning to do.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like I'm just fishing with a worm on a hook, but I'm at a lake full of "serious fishermen" with fish finders and $1000 tackle boxes. I still think I'll have fun and catch fish.
I was going to enter an appropriate reply here but decided instead to go shave my head and ponder the meaning of life.