OK to have a solid state drive for OS? (Calling Fenderman)

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My computer has 256K SS drive which has the OS.

I would add a WD purple for data storage.

Will this setup be OK?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not Fenderman but why not ?
Would only improve the speed of your system and the writing on the conventional special designed disc.
I don't see any problems with this , actually using the same solution.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you!

Do you know if a Dell Optiplex mini tower has provision for a second drive? Read some reports where there is room but no bracket. Some claim Dell doesn't have or won't sell a bracket. Seems strange.

Room for 3rd drive?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are going to use a SSD you don't need a bracket or slot. Just stick it anywhere with Velcro. May need extention cable for power. Also will need a straight SATA cable not the angled one.

Last edited by a moderator:

biggie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah this is what I have. A 256 gig SS for Windows and Blue Iris, and two 4tb purples for storage.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As others have said, SSD for the OS is fine and a good idea. As bob stated you can mount an ssd with double sided velcro...I dont recall if the mini tower comes with a bracket for a second drive...ebay is a good place to look.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks to all. Seems like it's getting harder to find a Dell 9020 mini tower on Dell Outlet with Integrated Intel Graphics. Ton of small form factor. And the discount coupons come and go. I checked out their twitter feed but they tweet way too much. Now that I have more knowledge, thanks to all, I can pull the trigger should one come available with a decent discount.

What is the difference between 7020 and 9020? Dell is horrible at providing information. I can't even find how many hard drive bays on their site, which is why I asked here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks to all. Seems like it's getting harder to find a Dell 9020 mini tower on Dell Outlet with Integrated Intel Graphics. Ton of small form factor. And the discount coupons come and go. I checked out their twitter feed but they tweet way too much. Now that I have more knowledge, thanks to all, I can pull the trigger should one come available with a decent discount.

What is the difference between 7020 and 9020? Dell is horrible at providing information. I can't even find how many hard drive bays on their site, which is why I asked here.
I believe the only difference is with respect to remote management (built into the bios) and possibly raid related options.
Also, when buying an ssd, dont buy the no name brands. Stick with reliable brands like crucial (mx200 series), intel or samsung.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. If I buy from Dell, am I correct to assume the SSD will be a reliable brand?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman. If I buy from Dell, am I correct to assume the SSD will be a reliable brand?
Its hard to find a dell with an ssd preinstalled. If/when you do, its usually at a high premium. You are better off buying your own. I believe dell uses samsung ssd's but not sure.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dells we buy with ssds seem to be slow for what we pay for. I honestly would just purchase a Samsung SSD and use that instead then use the savings to buy a bigger purple drive.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Dells we buy with ssds seem to be slow for what we pay for. I honestly would just purchase a Samsung SSD and use that instead then use the savings to buy a bigger purple drive.
Are they set for ACHI or IDE?

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ive tried a few bios options and dont seem to help. The laptops they used hynix msata and i dont remember what was in the 9020. Will have to look.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I will wait for a Dell 7020 or 9020 with i7 and no SSD.