Old Honeywell Vista replacement

jeremylatz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an old Vista alarm system from the last home owner. Some of the window sensors have changed. I don't know the code.

Presumably, because all the wiring is done, will it be easy for me to install a new security system and make use of the old wiring somehow?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have an old Vista alarm system from the last home owner. Some of the window sensors have changed. I don't know the code.

Presumably, because all the wiring is done, will it be easy for me to install a new security system and make use of the old wiring somehow?
You can probably use it more or less as is if you want. Post a picture of the control panel board (inside the metal cabinet) and keypad so it's easier to know what you're working with.

Are most of the zones wired or wireless? What do you mean regarding window sensors changing?

Are you looking to have it monitored again or just to use it as a noise maker?

Firefighter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes making use of the old alarm wiring shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes the contacts (sensors) go bad but really shouldn't be much of an issue.
Hopefully they are recessed sensors. If it works, don't pull it out of the door frame.
I've come across so many lazy installs that left no slack for sensor replacement it took running a new wire or removing the door frame trim to replace the sensor.

Are you wanting to go with a new type of system or a new basic system.

Another honeywell or something like a 2gig with zwave built into it..

Monitored or just self use like chime and alarm but not sent to a monitoring center.
Add a smoke detector and save 10-15% if its monitored on your homeowners insurance.

I'll assume they aren't wireless zones if it's an OLD system

(I've been installing alarms for 2 yrs)

Reaction score
Had a similar situation when we bought our house a few years ago. Previous owner had used a Honeywell Vista system, monitored by a local company. Service was cancelled prior to sale, and we never had the keypad codes. I was able to find a how-to article explaining how to use an installer code to change the user codes. This only works if the installer code was not changed from the default pin, but it seems most installers leave them at default. I think I was able to get through the process in less than 5 minutes. Might be worth looking into.

If you're the DIY type, and want to use all of your existing sensors, but replace the main alarm controls and avoid paying a professional monitoring service, you should look into Konnected. They sell small modules with proprietary (but open source) firmware that allows you to connect up to 6 independent zones per module. The system connects to your WiFi, and talks to SmartThings and Home Assistant (home automation platforms), allowing you to configure your system the way that works best for you, and monitor via your mobile device. It's infinitely expandable and quite affordable. I've been very pleased with mine so far.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had a similar situation when we bought our house a few years ago. Previous owner had used a Honeywell Vista system, monitored by a local company. Service was cancelled prior to sale, and we never had the keypad codes. I was able to find a how-to article explaining how to use an installer code to change the user codes. This only works if the installer code was not changed from the default pin, but it seems most installers leave them at default. I think I was able to get through the process in less than 5 minutes. Might be worth looking into/
It doesn't matter if the installer code has been changed, what matters if if they've used a setting that locks you out of the panel unless you have the installer code. Thankfully, most of the time they don't use that setting and there's an easy method of getting into the panel and resetting or recovering the installer code. This generally involves power cycling the alarm system and holding down some keys on the keypad.

Unfortunately since you registered here just to post this, my assumption is that you're a spammer for Konnected. I struggle to understand why anyone would buy konnected or write an 'article' about it. The hardware design is extremely underwhelming and I find myself unable to recommend it to anyone or even take it seriously.

Reaction score
Actually, I registered here because I'm looking to install cameras at my house, and have no prior experience. While browsing posts for info, I came across this thread, and figured I'd offer what I though was helpful info. I'm not a spammer for anyone. I just happened to use that particular system to replace my Vista panel, and so far, had been happy with it. If I was spamming, I'd have probably linked to websites, or some other shit, but you're free to make that assumption. I can see where you might think that though, and I apologize if I came off that way.

Back to the subject at hand, what you said about the installer code sounds familiar. I thought I had read that it only worked if the installer code was still set to default, but maybe it was just a lock thing. I vaguely remember having my better half hold down two buttons on one of the key pads while I power cycled at the main panel, then entering the default installer code to put it into program mode. Once there, I was able to set user codes without issue.

Reaction score
I just watched the installation and promotional videos for Konnected. Anyone who replaces a Vista panel with a Konnected is a fool. The battery back-up is a separate add-on? Really? You could add the Envisalink 4 module to the vista panel and get the same results of self-monitoring without a monthly fee and still have an actual security system.