Old version of BI 5.3.2.2

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
OK guys, I got my old PC fired up and it seems I wasn't as big of a tightwad as I thought I was. I have upgraded, back in 2020 to BI V5. it's a older version. Release 5.3.2.2. I figured out the password and have it fired up, though I don't have any cameras connected yet. In your opinion, should I keep the version I have now or should I upgrade? Pro's and Con's. I want to hear them both.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. My support ended in 2021.
I'm on 5.5.4.0

Windows 11 has been crashing several times a day and not sure why yet.

I just updated Deepstack GPU to 2022.01
Updated the Nvidia graphics driver to the latest (GTX970)
Updated the AI tool to the latest.

Scanned the disks - all ok

If it still continues to crash I may well pay for the another 12 months to see if it's the blue iris causing issues - or just switch BI off for a day or 2 and see how windows runs.

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd suggest dropping WIn11. It has shown compatibility problems with BI in some installations. I'd also suggest updating BI to the 5.5.6.13 version. DS runs very stable on it.
Thanks - yes I believe the issues started when I upgraded to win11 or soon after. Now how to rollback is the question...
I'm likely to pay for another 12 months of BI - supporting the development is always a good thing also

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd say to wack the drive, format, and do a clean install with the media creation tool. Obviously, make note about any specific applications, licenses and so on. Make sure you deactivate BI before doing this and make a copy of the license number for BI as well. Hard copies for all of it.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd say to wack the drive, format, and do a clean install with the media creation tool. Obviously, make note about any specific applications, licenses and so on. Make sure you deactivate BI before doing this and make a copy of the license number for BI as well. Hard copies for all of it.
Yes looking at doing that now. Making an image with macrium reflect just in case. I had made an image with win10 previously. May try using that. Tedious and time consuming job.

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd start with a clean Win10 install. The base install takes, probably, less than 15 minutes.
having issues unfortunately. Tried using the media creation tool and via usb boot. Will not work. It's late now and been at this for 3 hours. After selecting boot from the flash drive created for win 10 I just get a black screen after restarting.
Started getting the blue screen of death also. Ran SFC Scan and said it repaired some files. Not looking good though. I wonder if the SSD is failing.

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hmm not sure why I keep getting the BI trial copy blue writing across my cameras. I did deactivate it before. Then put the key in on the new install. Restart, all ok, until the pc reboots again.. Need to look into that odd behaviour further

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ah because I installed the latest version and my subscription ended last year. Could have downloaded the older version but I coughed up the annual subscription and got the latest - all working as expected now

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ah because I installed the latest version and my subscription ended last year. Could have downloaded the older version but I coughed up the annual subscription and got the latest - all working as expected now
Yes, newer releases have a stop to prevent this update but since you had an older version of BI it allowed the update and reverted to the trial.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad you got it all worked out. Win10, as flawed as it is in some respects, is a solid platform for BI. The jury is still out on Win11 until Ken works through all the potential problems it can cause.

Last edited:

Pentagano

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Think my newly installed win10 needed some adjustments. Couldn't access it after a major windows update last night.
Rebooted and all fine, paused further updates for a week and put the power options to high performance without any sleep options.

We'll see if it works smoothly for the next 24 hours. May have just been some settings that got overridden.