Older cams gone

saintnick

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there,
First of all, thanks for all of the info on the forums here, there are lots of great people and a great knowledge base.

I have been building up my IP cam assets around the house for the last couple years. I have also recently wired my house for Cat 6. I have a couple legacy cameras, a Sony SNC-DM160, and another. The DM160s have been my workhorse for a couple years now, running off a POE, and still worked off the cat6 wiring job for the house. I recently added two hikvision cams, both POEs, and an AmCrest NVR. The Amcrest is working well with the Hikvision cams, as well as a wifi baby monitor.

Around the time that I did the NVR, the two Sonys disappeared from my network. I can't find them. Both show power and network on the units, and my POE unit shows power, and the network lights on the switch blink as I interrupt the cameras. Any ideas on what is going on?

I used Fing on my network, and it shows my sony cam offline since July 24th. Are my cameras dead, or is there a way to find them again?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Around the time that I did the NVR, the two Sonys disappeared from my network.
Co-incidence or cause and effect? IP assignments, reservations OK, re-wiring OK?

The product literature shows that these cameras are ONVIF ProfileS compliant.
If they are still active on your network, you should be able to find them with the very good Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
It uses ONVIF network discovery protocols to list responding devices. A handy tool for lots of reasons.

saintnick

n3wb
Reaction score
Co-incidence or cause and effect? IP assignments, reservations OK, re-wiring OK?

The product literature shows that these cameras are ONVIF ProfileS compliant.
If they are still active on your network, you should be able to find them with the very good Windows tool ONVIF Device Manager from sourceforge.net
It uses ONVIF network discovery protocols to list responding devices. A handy tool for lots of reasons.
Thanks! I will try the tool. I know the wiring is good, as the wiring to the cam is still good. I also switched around the POE ports to make sure that one of those was not fried. I think, but don't know that when I plugged in the older cams to the NVR, (which has its on subnet) that it may have reassigned the port or IP. Looking at Fing, I don't see any IP conflicts. What do you mean about reservations?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reservations are a configuration option on the DHCP server, usually on your router, where you create an IP reservation against a specific MAC address (unique network hardware identity) such that the device on the network with DHCP enabled on it, always gets the defined IP address.
So you get the benefits of predictable and known IP addressing (and DNS and gateway etc), with central one-stop management.

I think, but don't know that when I plugged in the older cams to the NVR, (which has its on subnet) that it may have reassigned the port or IP.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, if the cameras in question were and are connected to a PoE switch (PoE unit?).

NVR, (which has its on subnet)
Is this, and any devices on it, accessible from the normal LAN?
If not, and if somehow the DM160 IP addresses have been changed to that subnet, could this be why they are no longer visible?

saintnick

n3wb
Reaction score
Reservations are a configuration option on the DHCP server, usually on your router, where you create an IP reservation against a specific MAC address (unique network hardware identity) such that the device on the network with DHCP enabled on it, always gets the defined IP address.
So you get the benefits of predictable and known IP addressing (and DNS and gateway etc), with central one-stop management.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, if the cameras in question were and are connected to a PoE switch (PoE unit?).

Is this, and any devices on it, accessible from the normal LAN?
If not, and if somehow the DM160 IP addresses have been changed to that subnet, could this be why they are no longer visible?

Thanks for explaining reservations. I think I will set those up on my router, as you stated, there is predictable benefit there.
So good news and bad news. I tried the ONVIF tool, and could not find the cameras. I was still convinced that the cameras were live since the network lights were so busy on the switch and the cameras, I did my last ditch effort, and pulled out the old CDs that came with the cameras. Turns out they had been reassigned the IPs of 10.1.1.65 and 10.1.1.66 respectively, so on a different subnet. I reassigned them with the proper addresses, and they are back on the network. For the last 2+ years, the cameras were on a POE switch. I had plugged them into the NVR, but then lost all contact, so I think the NVR reassigned the IPs. I have since moved all the cameras back to the POE switch, and the NVR picks up all the cameras except the DM160s, even a wireless camera.

I'll reach out to Amcrest service on why the Sonys are not showing up. Whats odd is that the logs on the DM160 show the NVR and some ONVIF communication. Thanks all for the suggestions here. Appreciate it!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, sounds like you are almost getting there.
Presumably ONVIF Device Manager can now see the DM160s as they are on the same network.
If recording only would be OK for you, and the NVR supports the ability to add a generic ONVIF or RTSP camera, you might get somewhere with either an ONVIF or RTSP choice.
ODM will show the 'ONVIF Port' in the URI at the bottom of the 'Identification' page, and the RTSP string at the bottom of the 'Live Video' page.
And it might be interesting to click the 'Events' link and see if any motion events appear if you dance in front of the camera ...

saintnick

n3wb
Reaction score
Well done, sounds like you are almost getting there.
Presumably ONVIF Device Manager can now see the DM160s as they are on the same network.
If recording only would be OK for you, and the NVR supports the ability to add a generic ONVIF or RTSP camera, you might get somewhere with either an ONVIF or RTSP choice.
ODM will show the 'ONVIF Port' in the URI at the bottom of the 'Identification' page, and the RTSP string at the bottom of the 'Live Video' page.
And it might be interesting to click the 'Events' link and see if any motion events appear if you dance in front of the camera ...

Thanks! Record only will be fine, as I have IP Cam Viewer that works great for the phone. I will give the ODM port checker a shot and report back. Appreciate the help!

saintnick

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, half of the mystery is solved. I found the cameras by using the Sony utility. Apparently the NVR reset the IP to a new subnet and IPs. So now I can see the cameras remotely, but the NVR still does not see the Sony DNC160. ODM does not recognize them either, even if I add them manually. I can hit them on the network, see them with the remote app, but ODM still does not seem them. Thoughts?

Thanks! Record only will be fine, as I have IP Cam Viewer that works great for the phone. I will give the ODM port checker a shot and report back. Appreciate the help!