Oncoming Street facing House Issues with Headlights causing alerts

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So have been playing with BI for a couple days (new to the system and still learning!). Enjoying the granularity of changes you can make to motion detection, but at times it can certainly be overwhelming! Something I'm currently challenged with is that I am the first house in a subdivision where when you drive into it from the main road, you make a left or right to get into the subdivision street. I am literally the first house in, so if instead of driving left or right after the stop sign you just drive right through, you end up in my driveway (image attached). The challenge with this is of course headlights triggering motion detection/alerts like in this youtube video.

Settings are attached. Any advice from the gurus around how to handle this sort of thing to reduce the number of alerts I'm getting once it goes dark?

I will be adding a new driveway camera as well shortly and it will have even bigger challenges as I'm already getting with the Hikvision intrustion/line crossing settings in that 7616 NVR/ 2142FWD camera, so curious how folks are tackling this sort of thing. I was never able to get the settings right on the Hik only setup and hoping BI with its granularity can help.

Attachments

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The camera in the video is the IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' if it matters.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want to alert on humans only try Sentry. I still get a few false positives but it is 95% better than without Sentry.

I tried for months to solve the headlight problem. I'm on a corner and on the outside of the turn radius so headlights sweep across my front yard. I think it's impossible to solve with BI current solutions.

Reactions: pbc

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks.

Ideally I'd want humans and vehicles for the driveway. Thought I had saw a suggestion to reduce these sorts of things in one of the numerous videos I've watched, but can't find it.

Sentry is certainly better, though even last night a car driving triggered it in the below shots (can see the car in the second shot a few seconds later).

1592403559762.png1592403591316.png

Forgot to attach settings.

BI Motion Sensor.PNGBI Motion Sensor 3.PNGBI Motion Sensor 2.PNG

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, is there anyway to increase the size of the view in the motion sensor tab?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with my front door and I eliminated most of the problem by having my zones only on the cement walk area and not on the house or door or yard area. It still triggers when anyone walks across it but the lights won't trigger it. You may need to reduce contrast sensitivity.

My bigger problem is the side of my house.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I get this on my driveway with shadows during sunny days and headlights during the night. I've not found a way of eliminating the false alerts though I've not tried Sentry.

I did try at one point using multiple zone with crossing rules but found that this would on occasions miss an event so have just gone back to normal motion detection and put up with the falsies.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of reducing the zone A size to just the walkway, but then wondered if it would miss humans walking through as they would be larger/taller than the area being analysed. Guess that is easy enough to test though.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Speaking of Sentry, does it only analyse the areas that we shade in the zones?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
About the only way you will solve this is to use some of the new cameras that have AI abilities, you can set it to only recognize humans or cars using trip wires. Then you have the camera trigger BI.

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Check out Deepstack and AI Tool, it is an awesome tool and I recommend it highly. It is much more accurate than Sentry and is all local, so no cloud dependency.

[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted this same question months ago and got no response. However, I was able to solve this issue by using the AI tool with Deepstack. It took some work to get set up but it works extremely well. My thread on the subject here.

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of reducing the zone A size to just the walkway, but then wondered if it would miss humans walking through as they would be larger/taller than the area being analysed. Guess that is easy enough to test though.
They would need to hover above the bottom of the railing as seen by the camera.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out Deepstack and AI Tool, it is an awesome tool and I recommend it highly. It is much more accurate than Sentry and is all local, so no cloud dependency.

Will have a look when I get a chance this weekend. Is this only for person detection or can it be configured for vehicles as well?

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris is looking for a change in pixels (color/contrast) so you are going to have a hard time eliminating lights without a lot of zone finagling.

You would probably be best off using an IR or ultrasonic sensor to trigger the camera.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score

I second this

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
I posted this same question months ago and got no response. However, I was able to solve this issue by using the AI tool with Deepstack. It took some work to get set up but it works extremely well. My thread on the subject here.
Agreed

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried AiTool and DeepStack and it killed my BI PC so had to disable it for the time being.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Think he meant high CPU, he posted in the AI thread..