One camera "no video" for unexplained 6+ hour gap

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I checked the video this morning and discovered that one of my cameras (I only run two!) stopped recording about 1AM and showed "no video" and then began recording around 8AM.
Camera 1 had no interruptions, just Camera 2. I checked the database logs and rebuilt the DB but there were no apparent indicators. It simply did not record.

My suspicion points to possibly being a camera issue and not Blue Iris. The cables, POE, and everything are secure without issue.

Camera is a UNIVIEW 4MP bullet, which has worked flawlessly (both of them) for about three + years.

All settings in BI are same on both cameras and Windows updates are not activated. It is a dedicated I5-14500 with 32 g RAM.

No video.png

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a profile change or a schedule off in a the switch.

Or the IR died at 1am and black screen was interpreted as no video.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a profile change or a schedule off in a the switch.

Or the IR died at 1am and black screen was interpreted as no video.
I don't think the IR died... sunrise and daylight was well before the 8:42 AM when the camera suddenly resumed recording.
I checked all the settings on the camera interface and nothing changed. I don't think the camera has a log, not sure will check.
The cameras are on static IP's.

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Possibility" something to do with router? The Unifi did not have a static IP set, but I remember setting one for each Cam 1 and Cam 2. But today only Cam 1 had the static IP so perhaps something happened?
Will monitor it, and it has been reset to static.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cameras have unique static IP's (configured in the camera's webGUI) and you used IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool then the router cannot change the camera IP's.

The only time you'd need to configure anything in the router when it comes to camera IP's would be if the cameras were locked into DHCP mode and cannot be set to static so you made IP reservations for those cameras in the router. Or possibly if you assigned the cameras static IP's that were not outside of the router's DHCP pool and so you would make IP reservations for those cameras in the router.

FWIW, those camera IP's are private, not public, so redaction is not necessary. My cams are 192.168.200.201 to .211. :cool:

Andykev

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the cameras have unique static IP's (configured in the camera's webGUI) and you used IP's that are outside of the router's DHCP pool then the router cannot change the camera IP's.

The only time you'd need to configure anything in the router when it comes to camera IP's would be if the cameras were locked into DHCP mode and cannot be set to static so you made IP reservations for those cameras in the router. Or possibly if you assigned the cameras static IP's that were not outside of the router's DHCP pool and so you would make IP reservations for those cameras in the router.

FWIW, those camera IP's are private, not public, so redaction is not necessary. My cams are 192.168.200.201 to .211. :cool:
UniFi let me set IP for any device as static Both the router and UNIVIEW camera configuration are matched static IP’s DHCP is off at both ends for the cameras

The pool is wide open but that’s irrelevant using static as I understand it

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think the camera has a log,
My unv cameras have logs located under system.
They're not always helpful though.
Under system --> maintenance there should be a button to export diagnosis info.
However I've never exported it before so I don't know how easy it is or isn't to read.

How are you powering the camera?
Via a managed switch? Could be some relevant logs in there too.

Edit: could there be a scheduled traffic/firewall rull in your router that blocked the camera?
Would be under triggers in the router logs.

Reaction score
There is no reason to have the cams run through a router. Obviously something 'changed' and then 'changed back' in the network. Doubt it is the cam itself. Maybe something got turned on at 1am and grabbed the IP address of the cam so there was a conflict. Then that IP address became available again.

Remove the router from the equation. Plug the cams into your POE switch and then run the uplink to your BI server. No router needed.