One Drive or Two?

nekohunter

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm building out a PC for a dedicated Blue Iris server, a Dell Precision T1650. I've got two WD Purple 2TB drives on the way which I'm planning on putting into a RAID 1. Is there much benefit in adding another drive to act just as the OS/program drive?

Bonus question - the T1650 includes an NVidia NVS300 card. Would it be better to use this card with CUDA, or just toss it out and use the GPU that is built into the Xeon E3-1225V2 with Quick Sync instead?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would install the OS and Blue Iris on a 120 GB SSD.

I have never had much success using a raid. The recover is a major pain. I would install one drive in the PC and the other drive in a NAS that is not located near the PC. Define clone cameras to write direct to disk on the NAS.

bonus question : not sure.... If recording h.265 use Nvidia. If recording H.264 use the iQuick Sync.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt that card even supports NVDEC (which is the underlying decoding technology). Even if it did, you shouldn't use it until it is absolutely necessary to unburden the CPU and all other options have been considered, because Nvidia's hardware acceleration is highly inefficient.