One of my camera's is disconnected...

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys, this morning my driveway camera was disconnected. I tried looking for some info online. I found some YouTube video's explaining what to do, but everything seems correct on my end.

Any thoughts as to why this happened?

Thank you

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The make and model model: Hikvision / DS-7608NI-12/8P.

What do you mean by powered? AC plug?

Thanks

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
The DS-7608NI-12/8P is a NVR. What is the model of the camera? Is it powered by a switch? Is it powered by the NVR? Is it powered by POE injector? Are all cameras powered by the NVR? How many cameras are plugged into the NVR? You have have exceeded the bandwidth limitation.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All 5 cameras are powered by the NVR. All cameras are model Hikvision: DS-2CD2345FWD-I. I don't have a switch between the cameras and NVR or powered by POE injector. I purchased the house with this existing setup. All cameras worked until today.

How do I know if I exceeded the bandwidth? Thank you

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Disconnect one camera at a time, and see if the driveway came becomes viewable. Disconnect multiple cams if needed. This will make their bandwidth available and hopefully allowing the driveway cam to become viewable.

Try swapping ports of the driveway cam with a cam that is still working. This will help determine of the current driveway cam ethernet port is having issues delivering power.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I disconnected one camera at a time leaving the driveway last and that didn't bring it up. I tried swapping cam's and that didn't bring it up either.

When connected to the NVR, I noticed that all the cam's except the driveway cam are blinking a fast green and amber. The driveway cam is blinking very slowly.

But now after doing this, I noticed that 2 out of the 5 cam's are working. The rest say the device is offline.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the 4 cam's came back except for the driveway cam. Is there any possibility that the cam is broken, and if so how would I know that?

Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pull the cam down and try it on another short cable on the same port. If that works, then it's likely the network connection at that end. If it doesn't then try adding it on another port. If that works, then it's probably that NVR port. If it doesn't work either way, then likely something with the cam. From there you can try to figure out what.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Funny you should write that, Mike. I was just removing the cam from the garage. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
So the 4 cam's came back except for the driveway cam. Is there any possibility that the cam is broken, and if so how would I know that?

Thanks
I figured the other 4 would come back. You could try to factory default reset the camera and try to bring it back up that way. The manuals for the camera should be on-line at Hikvision US web site. You could also delete that camera out of your NVR and then try to add it back in again. through the system settings on the NVR. Do you know how old the camera is? Also, have to check your RJ-45 connectors on both ends of your cat cable? If you have a couple of spare RJ-45 connectors and a set of crimpers, it might be worh putting new ends on the cable. Also, if you have a "Fox & Hound" tester, you can test your cable.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok I figured it out. It's the ethernet cable. When I had my garage converted into a recording studio, the wires going from the NVR to the cam got permanently placed in the ceiling, so there's no way to change that. I'll have to figure out another way to get a new cable from the outside garage to the NVR.

If I purchased a wifi version of the cam, does it have to be connected to an AC outlet? Thanks

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Might (emphasis on might) be able to pull cable through with the old cable. Are you sure that it's not just the termination? That's usually where the problem will be if nothing else has been disturbed.

WiFi will need power from somewhere. Either AC or could use POE and a splitter. But generally not the best way to go.

123abc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can connect it via AC if I had to. Which Hikvision WIFI cam would work with my current setup? The current cam is the Hikvision: DS-2CD2345FWD-I. The NVR is the: Hikvision / DS-7608NI-12/8P.

When you say termination, what do you mean exactly?

Thanks again guys.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Should follow the T-568b standard on both ends

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, try re-terminating the ends. Don't leave so much of the individual wires when you do. The outside cable jacket should be crimped by the little wedge at the rear of the connector where the cable enters. Probably not the problem, but you want to try to maintain as much of the twist as you can.