One Of My HardDrives Keeps Disappearing

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm not sure this is a Windows problem or a Blue Iris problem or something else, but maybe someone knows what's going on here.

I have a dedicated Windows 10 PC running Blue Iris. Currently, I have five 4TB WD Purple drives and one 2TB WD Purple that the cameras are being recorded to. The 2TB drive keeps disappearing. More specifically, the drive letter will drop off. I'll go back into Disk Management and re-assign it a letter and it will go for a week or so and then just fall offline. I've done this a few times. It is nowhere close to filling up. In the computer management, it shows healthy.

I was thinking about swapping SATA cables around to troubleshoot/eliminate it being the SATA port or cable. I've actually never seen this before. Any ideas? Is the drive failing?

Disk.jpg

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Everything checks okay, though I've only run the check after re-assigning a drive letter and while everything looks okay.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is the drive connected to the mother board or to an add-on card ?

I had a problem with having a BI drive dropping off line when it was on an add-on card, plugged it into the mother board and it worked good. I think the add-on card could not handle the write load.

hotbrass

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the drive connected to the mother board or to an add-on card ?

I had a problem with having a BI drive dropping off line when it was on an add-on card, plugged it into the mother board and it worked good. I think the add-on card could not handle the write load.
Terminology?
Pardon my ignorance but what add-on card are you talking about? PCIE SATA card or M.2 PCIE card or ???

Thanks!

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The drive was connected to a SATA port on the motherboard. Nothing in the event logs.

I had a spare LSI SAS card, so I ended up swapping all the drives over to it. It's running fine now. I'll leave it like this and if it messes up again, I'll probably just toss the drive. The harddrive is over two years old and at 2TB, it's the smallest one in the system (ten years ago that would have been nuts to say).

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The drive was connected to a SATA port on the motherboard. Nothing in the event logs.

I had a spare LSI SAS card, so I ended up swapping all the drives over to it. It's running fine now. I'll leave it like this and if it messes up again, I'll probably just toss the drive. The harddrive is over two years old and at 2TB, it's the smallest one in the system (ten years ago that would have been nuts to say).
Use gsmartcontrol to check the health of the drive.