One PTZ cam, different triggers to different presets?

IPDaily

n3wb
Reaction score
I know I can use camera groups to cause motion detection on one camera to trigger another PTZ camera to move to a particular preset - I'm just wondering if there is a way to have two different cameras to trigger the same PTZ camera to move to a specific preset each?

Basically I am aiming to install a PTZ at the front of my property and would like to trigger it to a preset pointing at the porch (if the porch cam is triggered), or to point it at a preset looking at the driveway (if my camera further back down the driveway is triggered). Does anyone know if this is possible to do? From looking at some other threads it sounds like what I may need to do is set up a "clone" of the PTZ camera which is just used for PTZ via a camera group - does that sound right? Presumably this would only need a sub feed from the camera and no recording - just the ability to cause the clone (and along with it the "proper" camera) to move to the required preset?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Under alerts on the camera triggering the PTZ select "post to web address or MQTT"...

Then click configure and under when triggered on top line put:

X=PTZ camera address
CAMERA NAME= short name for PTZ cam
PRESETNUM = PTZ position preset number (only the number
USERNAME & PASSWORD = The ptz cameras username and password

X.X.X.X:81/admin?camera=CAMERANAME&preset=PRESETNUM&user=USERNAME&pw=PASSWORD

So it should look like:

192.168.1.50:81/admin?camera=ptz&preset=1&user=admin&pw=mypassword

IPDaily

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually ended up having to modify this method a bit as it appears my PTZ camera (Reolink 423 - yes I know, should've got a Dahua ;)) didn't appear to work with the suggested commands (which I assume would for a standard ONVIF?). After a bit more searching on this site though (now that I knew what I was looking for thanks to your reply) I stumbled across this post for sending PTZ commands to a Reolink 423, and after having a dabble in the Chrome console to find the token I needed, I got the result I was after by using these commands in the Blue Iris "Post to a web address or MQTT server" window:

http:// 192.168.AAA.BBB/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=PtzCtrl&token=abcd1234efgh
Post/payload [{"cmd":"PtzCtrl","action":0,"param":{"channel":0,"op":"ToPos","speed":32,"id":3}}]

AAA.BBB is obviously the end IP for my camera, and abcd1234efgh was the token generated using the method in the post I linked to. The "3" at the end of the payload line is for the Preset 3 I wanted.

Thanks to both @Dasstrum and @Lord Business for getting me there!

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually ended up having to modify this method a bit as it appears my PTZ camera (Reolink 423 - yes I know, should've got a Dahua ;)) didn't appear to work with the suggested commands (which I assume would for a standard ONVIF?). After a bit more searching on this site though (now that I knew what I was looking for thanks to your reply) I stumbled across this post for sending PTZ commands to a Reolink 423, and after having a dabble in the Chrome console to find the token I needed, I got the result I was after by using these commands in the Blue Iris "Post to a web address or MQTT server" window:

http:// 192.168.AAA.BBB/cgi-bin/api.cgi?cmd=PtzCtrl&token=abcd1234efgh
Post/payload [{"cmd":"PtzCtrl","action":0,"param":{"channel":0,"op":"ToPos","speed":32,"id":3}}]

AAA.BBB is obviously the end IP for my camera, and abcd1234efgh was the token generated using the method in the post I linked to. The "3" at the end of the payload line is for the Preset 3 I wanted.

Thanks to both @Dasstrum and @Lord Business for getting me there!
Perfect! Thanks for sharing