Online identity verification id.me

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I ran into another new big brother thing today for the first time. One of my financial accounts is going to require creating an id.me account to continue accessing it. I don't want my info in yet another database that can will get misused. On one hand I'm thinking of closing the account, on the other hand I'm wondering if it's a snowball rolling downhill and I'll end up having to create an account with id.me to do anything online in the future. What to do????

What I've learned so far: Establishing the id.me account requires submitting a copy of a photo ID, a real-time selfie, and additional info. They use facial recognition. Some sites don't require the facial recognition, but most do. In addition to private companies, id.me is being used by multiple federal and state agencies to log into accounts. IRA and Social Security and VA are federal examples. Many states require it for unemployment benefit accounts.

Right now this looks pretty evil and dangerous to me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, I recently used ID.me to very my military veteran status to get an ongoing 10% discount with Lowes --- $275 on a riding mower!
ID.me interfaced with the VA to prove my status without me having scan a DD214 and send to Lowes, etc....took all of 5 minutes.

Excerpt below from ==>> Privacy and security on VA.gov

"ID.me won't share your information with anyone without asking for your permission. ID.me protects all sensitive data with AES 256-bit encryption at rest and RSA 2048-bit encryption in transit. Their information security protections are stronger than many financial institutions."

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Pretty sure I used it for the first time a month or two back when using the IRS website to file about some scumbag trying to use my info to file a tax return

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I started the process to close the account by having another outfit do a "pull" transfer (It's an IRA), and it's so far falling through the cracks with them. It's the we're short on staff and everything takes longer explanation. It feels like the wheels are slowly falling off of the financial system.

I see you're from Ireland, so if your not familiar, IRA is a retirement account and when switching who holds it, it's best to have the funds transferred between the institutions, never "touching" them yourself. Message #1: welcome to the forum.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I started the process to close the account by having another outfit do a "pull" transfer (It's an IRA), and it's so far falling through the cracks with them. It's the we're short on staff and everything takes longer explanation. It feels like the wheels are slowly falling off of the financial system.

I see you're from Ireland, so if your not familiar, IRA is a retirement account and when switching who holds it, it's best to have the funds transferred between the institutions, never "touching" them yourself. Message #1: welcome to the forum.

Bot

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

jec6613

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^ I guess it's someday. Called it. ; )
Forums with easy sign-ups are used as bot training grounds nowadays.

Once they're released into the wild they game the algorithms and generate traffic, to undermine an adversary. Information warfare at its finest...