ONVIF cameras and CMS, best broad coverage NVR software?

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I have purchased a handful of "ONVIF" cameras from ebay hoping for some sort of standardization and compatibility. Of course I have discovered that nothing is ever that simple. The basic capabilities of the cameras are similar but they seem to come in two "flavors" My escam and a few others work well with CMS and IE (no FF or Chrome??). The other flavor of camera does not work with CMS even though it seems to support more browser options. ONVIF device manager indicates that they all have some ONVIF compatibility but the ports they use and getting basic video to work with CMS (multiple versions) has been a challenge. I was happy to see that I could stream video from all of them with ONVIF device manager. But so far that is the only software that works with both flavors. I intend to primarily use the motion capabilities in the cameras but that only seems to support snapshots. I am also hoping to setup an old pc to capture limited video of motion events. Can someone suggest NVR software that will work with most ONVIF cameras and run on an older pc? I am not looking for a top end high performance system. Just something to capture motion events for 7-8 cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have purchased a handful of "ONVIF" cameras from ebay hoping for some sort of standardization and compatibility. Of course I have discovered that nothing is ever that simple. The basic capabilities of the cameras are similar but they seem to come in two "flavors" My escam and a few others work well with CMS and IE (no FF or Chrome??). The other flavor of camera does not work with CMS even though it seems to support more browser options. ONVIF device manager indicates that they all have some ONVIF compatibility but the ports they use and getting basic video to work with CMS (multiple versions) has been a challenge. I was happy to see that I could stream video from all of them with ONVIF device manager. But so far that is the only software that works with both flavors. I intend to primarily use the motion capabilities in the cameras but that only seems to support snapshots. I am also hoping to setup an old pc to capture limited video of motion events. Can someone suggest NVR software that will work with most ONVIF cameras and run on an older pc? I am not looking for a top end high performance system. Just something to capture motion events for 7-8 cameras.
Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind that an old pc may be very power hungry compared to a new one. Fourth generation i5 haswell systems that are very efficient can be had for 300.
If you want something free, try using milestone xprotect go, its has a 5 day storage limitation.
Blue iris is 60 and is very flexible but will require a decent pc depending on the resolution of your cameras.

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like xprotect go requires a 64 bit OS. I'll check into Blue Iris. Anyone else making use of an old pc with these new cameras?

avgjoeuser

n3wb
Reaction score
I know its slow, but I didnt think I was asking it to do much. Doing research into this has led me down a lot of ratholes. It appears that ONVIF is still very immature. Time for a new set of threads.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know its slow, but I didnt think I was asking it to do much. Doing research into this has led me down a lot of ratholes. It appears that ONVIF is still very immature. Time for a new set of threads.
Its not simply slow, is unusable for HD video...Just to put it into perspective, an i5 haswell scores 7000+ vs the 160 of your processor. This has nothing to do with onvif.