ONVIF compatibility between POE camera / NVR setup

Carlgr

n3wb
Reaction score
HI all.

I have a Lorex POE 5 camera system with NVR looking to add a WIDE ANGLE camera (as opposed to PTZ) by mounting to the chimney.

I have been reading about the REOLINK DUO for a wide angle camera but I'm wondering about compatibility, Lorex said 'don't use any cameras other than ours' and funnily enough REOLINK said 'don't use a NVR other than ours'.

However, I've also read that as long as the NVR and CAMERA is ONVIF Compliant, it should work, with some potential functionality limitations such as perhaps spot light or other settings that I would need as I just want a wide angle camera that works with my LOREX NVR.

1. Has anyone used a Reolink or other camera in LOREX system
2. Can anyone else recommend a wide angle ( > 110 degrees) camera that would work with a LOREX NVR?

I've confirmed that my NVR has a ONVIF protocol option to manually add cameras.

Thanks for any help with the above!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All I'll say is that if you want headaches and junk, buy a Reolink. They're only really truly compatible with Reolink.

Dahua is releasing a 180 degree camera, bullet form factor, soon and Hikvision already has one. They're both in the $300 range but are both quality cameras.

Last edited:

Carlgr

n3wb
Reaction score
All I'll say is that if you want headaches and junk, buy a Reolink. They're only really truly compatible with Reolink.

Dahua is releasing a 180 degree camera, bullet form factor, soon and Hikvision already has one. They're bot in the $300 range but are both quality cameras.
Thank you for the quick reply! I'll definitely check out the Hikvision one as well as Dahua!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. Stay away from Reolink. They work "best" in their own universe, but even at that the night quality of motion is poor.

You will find in many instances ONVIF doesn't mean much. Even as a standard, there is no "standard" that every manufacturer follows.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

Carlgr

n3wb
Reaction score
+1 above. Stay away from Reolink. They work "best" in their own universe, but even at that the night quality of motion is poor.

You will find in many instances ONVIF doesn't mean much. Even as a standard, there is no "standard" that every manufacturer follows.

In reality, ONVIF is a paid designation, so a camera can set up their protocol however they want, but if they belong to ONVIF, they can slap ONVIF on their stuff. Some manufacturers are better than others at providing a standard that can be used with other devices.

OK thanks for the post, I'm learning quite a bit! Sounds like I'll pass on the Reolink. I forgot to mention that I'm in Canada and the Hikvision Canada site does not have the camera @sebastiantombs mentioned. I've actually emailed Hikvision to see why not. Seems the US always get the cool stuff or at least way before us. Cell phones, technology etc. :(

Seems like a POE camera that has a FOV of 150 degrees or more that will work with my Lorex NVR that is available in Canada is tougher than I thought!

Appreciate the replies and the help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reach out to @EMPIRETECANDY a trusted vendor here. He sells to Canada and can get access to lots of stuff that are not in his Amazon or Ali store.