Onvif wifi doorbell

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I been searching for a onvif doorbell that would work with my Dahua NVR.

Tonight, I discovered this on Nelly's NSC-DB1 Onvif Compatible Wifi Doorbell 1080P IP Camera W/ 32GB Built-in Storage - Nelly's Security

Have anyone tried this one yet? It hooked to doorbell wires but I wondered if alert or alarm is available in onvif. I am wanting to connect it to my Dahua NVR but I want the alert to send the signal to the NVR too so it will alert me via iDMSS app instead of it own apps.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are a dozen threads on it. Made by hikvision, goes be a quite a few different brands. search...

Reaction score
I've got this. I'm on the fence if I'm going to return or not.

On the plus side
1. it integrated into my blue iris server easily.

n the negative side ,
1. The wifi radio is weak it expects signal -50dbm or better to work reliably.I had to move a AP closer for it to work
2. The audio is extremely weak as compared to ring or other devices I live on a busy street and its hard for people at the door to hear you
3. The Doorbell app isn't that mature. i have issues with it logging out on my phone getting the ring and not be able to pick up or having it drop the call.
4. It will not work if you have a digital doorbell. Yo need the Ding/Dong mechanical doorbell.

I really, really wanted this to work. but I think its going back.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got this. I'm on the fence if I'm going to return or not.

On the plus side
1. it integrated into my blue iris server easily.

n the negative side ,
1. The wifi radio is weak it expects signal -50dbm or better to work reliably.I had to move a AP closer for it to work
2. The audio is extremely weak as compared to ring or other devices I live on a busy street and its hard for people at the door to hear you
3. The Doorbell app isn't that mature. i have issues with it logging out on my phone getting the ring and not be able to pick up or having it drop the call.
4. It will not work if you have a digital doorbell. Yo need the Ding/Dong mechanical doorbell.

I really, really wanted this to work. but I think its going back.

Thank you for your review. My AP is ceiling mounted and it about 5 feet from door so it should be good then?

My wife and I both are Deaf so we don't care about the audio, we want to be able to get some type of alert on our iPhone when doorbell is pressed.

I have a Dahua NVR but I am hopeful that I can set up motion detection on it.

I am curious, where did you buy your doorbell at?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just use zwave....or similar..
Other options include:
Using a magnetic reed switch at mechanical bell
Using a Elk doorbell detector circuit paired with a timer to lengthen and debounce the pulse.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

yeah I been looking into trying to find the right home automation that offered alert via text message and flashing led lights in the house. So far one I have set up on Raspberry Pi does not flash light but it dim on and dim off which is easily missed by me and my wife. We contact the light manfacturer and they blame it on home automation software so we contact the developer and hear nothing back from them. That was over a year ago so we are hoping to find something that doesn't require a central unit to control everything but we don't mind using z wave if it doesn't require central unit to control it.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score

yeah I been looking into trying to find the right home automation that offered alert via text message and flashing led lights in the house. So far one I have set up on Raspberry Pi does not flash light but it dim on and dim off which is easily missed by me and my wife. We contact the light manfacturer and they blame it on home automation software so we contact the developer and hear nothing back from them. That was over a year ago so we are hoping to find something that doesn't require a central unit to control everything but we don't mind using z wave if it doesn't require central unit to control it.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In your quest to simplify the solution, I fear you've ensured most of the options left won't fit your needs. There are always hardwired products targeted at deaf users. The most useful things your can do with zwave require a controller, which can be software running on a pc and a usb zwave stick.

I was under the impression you had enough programming under your belt to be able to handle something like a little lua scripting. Dig up your old thread on some of this and post more details there and I can offer more specific advice.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
In your quest to simplify the solution, I fear you've ensured most of the options left won't fit your needs. There are always hardwired products targeted at deaf users. The most useful things your can do with zwave require a controller, which can be software running on a pc and a usb zwave stick.

I was under the impression you had enough programming under your belt to be able to handle something like a little lua scripting. Dig up your old thread on some of this and post more details there and I can offer more specific advice.

Have you seen the price of hardwired product that are targeted to the Deaf users?

It's priced so high because it usually the government benefits that cover the cost of those products and companies knew that so they get greedy with it. Also many of those products are still from the 70's and 80's which never get upgraded or updated.

Here one example - https://www.amazon.com/Clarity-AM-RX2-01855-Alertmaster-Receiver/dp/B000VL3SF2/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1523554065&sr=8-30&keywords=deaf+alert . Still the same design and look since 1980. it used to be priced at 80 something dollar for it but it priced 20 because they are trying to dump remaining inventory since they supposedly to have "new design" for it - https://www.amazon.com/Clarity-AL10-AlertMaster-AL12-Remote/dp/B00CQW6ZUE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1523554222&sr=8-4&keywords=deaf+clarity&dpID=51-WjqYSYYL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

New design my ass, all they did was take the same circuity and put in a different box and claimed new improved design. Still using an 1980 antenna on it. No wifi or bluetooth! Lame .. look the price on it too! Again it is priced high since they normally get purchased by the government to give out to the Deaf people.

In the past, I set up a home automation using Raspberry Pi and zwave stick. I also had a couple of Aeon zwave lightbuib that can produce different colors. The home automation program I used was Domotic. It was easy for me to set up and use. My goal was to have light flash in different color depending what is causing it to send the alert, doorbell, motion detect triggered, water flooding in basement, etc and same time send an email but we prefer text because it is more instant than an email.

But when I first experiment with it, the light will not flash instead it dim on slowly and dim off slowly which we can easily missed even if the light is in front of us while we are watching TV. So I have contact Aeon developer who pointed out that was the Domotic that doing it and there is no command on it for instant on and off like flashing so I would have to refer to the Domotic forum even the Aeon developer posted a post about it on the Domotic forum which is about 2 years ago but nobody ever replied to it. So I took it down and boxed it because we purchased a new home and we were getting ready to move.

I do plan to set up home automation again soon but probably not using Domotic and I am hopeful to find one that can actually interrupt whatever we watching on TV and switch it over to security camera when a motion is detected. There is one in the home automation forum and I have contacted them but they have stopped responding so I don't know what up with them so I am still looking for one that will work for us (Both I and my wife are Deaf)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you seen the price of hardwired product that are targeted to the Deaf users?

It's priced so high because it usually the government benefits that cover the cost of those products and companies knew that so they get greedy with it. Also many of those products are still from the 70's and 80's which never get upgraded or updated.
Yes I've seen the products that are available. I agree with your analysis.

My point is, you seem torn between the simplicity of these products and doing what's necessary to make a better system work. If I remember correctly, my suggestion in your earlier thread was to use the fibaro rgbw controller with rbg led strip lighting. You would also drive this type of lighting from a pi or arduino.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I've seen the products that are available. I agree with your analysis.

My point is, you seem torn between the simplicity of these products and doing what's necessary to make a better system work. If I remember correctly, my suggestion in your earlier thread was to use the fibaro rgbw controller with rbg led strip lighting. You would also drive this type of lighting from a pi or arduino.
I am going to give Home Assistant a try. I am in a HA chatroom and talking to several folks who claim that it should do what I wanted it to do so I will be install HA on my RaspPI tonight.

intwoit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have this unit and purchased from Nellys. I am very happy with it. Did not have problems with Wifi levels. I have it working with Blueiris and my ipad. Fair price, no monthly. Tech support from Nellys is amazing. Would reccomend. The only minus is the fisheye effect, but the picture is very good.

Good Luck,
Al