Oops

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I saw a clip of someone walking on my front porch this morning around 1:30AM. I looked at it and thought it was my wife trying to cool off from hot flashes. Asked her why she went out and she said she didn't. So apparently it was someone on my porch about 15-20' from my bed. I had already deleted the video thinking it was her, I guess there is no way of recovering it now.

We had just returned from being overseas for 2 weeks, so I was a bit tired when I saw the video this morning after getting up.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
if you stop all recording now, the file may have not been overwritten and you can try using something like recova to get the file back..

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried that, it could recover the file but BI gave an error opening it. It was in the BVR format. Shows 26.9MB file with 00sec as the length.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may have been overwritten at least partially, and corrupted. You might be able to recover the alert jpeg ...

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like I am screwed, Ken didn't have any suggestions either. :mad-new:

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that happened. They hopefully spotted your camera and won't be back. Just out of curiosity, why are you deleting individual files?

I keep everything until I'm out of room and BI will delete the files for me based on the how much I tell it to keep in Options > Clips > Folders. You never know when you might discover something happened based on something looking out of place on your property, then you can go back and look at footage depending on how much hard drive storage you have.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I record events 24x7, but I can easily have a couple hundred a day of useless videos of me smoking, cats, coyote, deer, etc. So I keep it clean on a regular basis. I have some old footage (50 or so clips) that I kept of actual criminals or suspicious activity. I was away for 2 weeks and we had a house sitter (and to watch the dog). There were over 3000 clips. I guess if it looks worthless, then I remove it. Since I thought it was my wife on the clip, I killed it. Maybe I should have left it until I asked her.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As fbnoise says, its best to have BI do the clip management...its simply a waste of time to do it yourself and can lead to situations such as this..there is no harm in having unneeded files on your pc.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Usually it isn't an issue, I just turned off notifications that night since we had been traveling for about 4 days, a combination of planes, trains and automobiles. We really needed a good nights sleep. Had I received a notification, I would have realized my wife was next to me and it wasn't her, or it was her outside.