OpenALPR - originally would not recognize that I changed my camera's password ... now won't stream from camera?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So odd issue. Yesterday I went into the Web GUI of my Dauhua Z12E camera and changed the admin password. BlueIris recognized this of course and could no longer access the camera until I changed the authentication password in BlueIris.

However, the odd thing is that my OpenALPR agent continued to receive a stream even though it was using the old password. Further, if I deleted the camera in the OpenALPR PC config tool, then tried to add it again, it kept giving me authentication errors, UNLESS I used the OLD password, in which case it authenticated with the camera to receive the feed.

How can OpenALPR be accessing my camera and authenticating with an old password that is no longer valid for the camera?

I tried rebooting the camera, same issue.

This morning completely uninstalled OpenALPR and reinstalled it, and now I can't access the camera with either the new or the old password.

The new password is pretty basic (no symbols, etc), and I've confirmed multiple times I'm typing it in correctly.

1594211038690.png

Just to check, I went to OpenALPR's web interface, and tried the camera there. Same issue (and since it shows the password in the rtsp call I can see it is typed correctly).

1594211354095.png

Anyone else run across this?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is it possible there is something in the registry (similar to BI) that needs to be deleted on an uninstall? I can add any other camera to the OpenALPR agent just fine, but the actual camera I'm using for LPR simply refuses to connect (and the password is fairly simple so not an issue of unusual characters on that one).

Also have a help email into OpenALPR.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, OpenALPR is pretty terrible on responding to support requests...nothing yet. So much for the 24 hour response time!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are your cameras isolated from the internet? If so, why not just go back to the admin password?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are your cameras isolated from the internet? If so, why not just go back to the admin password?
I am using the admin password, but I had changed it (was going to give someone locally access to the OpenALPR web GUI so they could see what I was capturing so didn't want my camera passwords showing in the RSTP stream script).

But now OpenALPR literally won't show a stream from that camera even though I'm using the "right" admin password. It's odd.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried loading a stream from my other driveway camera, works fine.

Just won't connect now to the LPR without an authentication error.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is definitely strange. You seem to have all the quarks nobody else has seen LOL.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, camera works if I do that. But that's the problem, OpenALPR only activates that camera with the originally inputted password.

If you change the password on your camera, ever, it won't accept a new password.

That makes no sense?

If either of you use it, try changing the password on your LPR and then getting into the camera using OpenALPR with the new password.

Reaction score
While I have not yet tried out OPENALPR, I have noticed that there seems to be several places in the cam GUI that one can set a password. I wonder if OAPLR is using one of those passwords that may get set to the original password but when you update it, you are only updating one of them?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I changed my password to 100cameratest, just for fun. The original password to get into admin on that camera was xxxxxxx# (i.e. a bunch of characters/numbers than a number sign).

I can't login to the camera via Blue Iris or via the webgui without using 100cameratest as the password. Yet when I insert that password into the OpenALPR config tool, it gives me an authentication error. If I use the old password, it then works fine, but doesn't show the "#", replaces it with a %23 for some reason.

Either way, it should not be able to access this camera with the password it is using below!

1594337617721.png

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While I have not yet tried out OPENALPR, I have noticed that there seems to be several places in the cam GUI that one can set a password. I wonder if OAPLR is using one of those passwords that may get set to the original password but when you update it, you are only updating one of them?
In the camera's GUI? I only see this:

1594337728912.png

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Makes zero sense. Actual password, invalid credentials. Old password...works. Even after uninstalling, rebooting camera, etc.

It will eventually stop accepting the old password, but then won't accept the new password either.

Edit: ...and there you go, won't accept the new password or the old password now to get into the cam!

1594337976693.png

Reaction score
If you go to the Onvif tab, there is a password field. There are other places to set a password field, like several tabs under Network.

I do not know what they are used for, but I wonder if OPLR is using one of those password fields?

Reactions: pbc

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe try resetting the cam back to factory defaults and start over?
Ugh...have so many changes to that camera would hate to have to start over.

Tried changing the onvif password, you're right, for some reason that password was still set to the old one (which is not great code!).

But still won't let me in via OALPR. Wonder if it will in a few minutes, or if there is another password in this camera saved somewhere?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bingo... you were right! OALPR uses the onvif password! Just took a couple minutes.

WTH? But thanks!

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm used to Hikvisions and they typically only have 1 admin password.