Opinions on a single-camera system for the front door - porch?

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
A good friend of mine had her contractor wire some RJ45 cable to the front porch ceiling thinking that she'd mount a camera there and wire it back to a NVR. She originally thought she would have multiple cameras, but ultimately decided that one would suit her just fine.

I had suggested something simple, like a Nest product or perhaps a Ring camera, so she could see the action on her phone and keep the solution relatively simple. But she'd like to have a camera that be wide angle enough to see visitors and the floor where packages will be dropped. It can be mounted to the ceiling where the RJ45 is, or could be wired to where the door bell will go.

One other requirement is that she wants her young daughters to be able to check a monitor somewhere to see who's at the door. This is why a Ring cam probably wouldn't work. She's happy to purchase a DVR and have the one camera connected to it, as she wants to record and be able to review, plus see the live image at any time.

Thanks in advance, really appreciate the help.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Is this the camera?

IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology

and as for the NVR - there are so many models to choose from - any recommendations on a basic one that will serve my needs?
I don't use NVRs, I defer to @nayr but yes that is the camera, you should be able to get fast shipping next week, I'll prolly pick up a few myself to kill off my hikvision.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There is also a bullet form factor that is nice

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just say NO to Nest or doorbell cams if you are serious about video security.

Camera=Dahua 2MP H265 WDR IR Eyeball 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z,free shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
Remotely viewable, audio, email notifications, great at night.

NVR=Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 8/16/32CH 1U 4K&H.265 NVR support 2HDD Onvif NVR5208 4KS2 NVR5216 4KS2 NVR5232 4KS2 from Reliable 265 nvr suppliers on BEC Technology Co.,Ltd

You will also need a WD Purple hard drive, as the NVR doesn't include one. Biggest one she can afford.

Purchase a POE switch, this allows you to put the NVR anywhere, and if she adds more cams, the wiring only has to go to the switch, not the NVR
Purcahse the 16ch version, cost difference is minimal.

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Trying to get a better idea of the focal length of this camera's lens. It will be mounted on a 9-foot ceiling, and will be pointed at the area in front of the door. Approximately how far from the door should it be in order to capture enough a person knocking and the floor in front of the door where packages can be left and monitored?

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Also, any recommendations on a good POE switch? Lots of them on Ali, or maybe a standard brand (TP-LINK?) on amazon?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, any recommendations on a good POE switch? Lots of them on Ali, or maybe a standard brand (TP-LINK?) on amazon?
Get your switch from a US vendor. Amazon, Newegg, Ebay

The camera mentioned above is varifocal, it has a motorized zoom lens. You probably want to be near the door but at that height getting face shots is harder. If you can mount the camera on the wall a little lower that may be more desirable. Ideally you experiment a bit with the camera do decide on where you think you want to mount it rather than run wire to a location that may require some adjustment first. A camera with zoom like this does allow you more flexibility in the mounting location.

It's probably best to install the camera in what we usually refer to as corridor mode with the camera rotated and the image rotated on screen so it's taller than it is wide.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would say depends on budget as $500 for a single camera set up would be steep to me. Could get a $60 Dahua with mic and a cheap NVR if its for a single camera and just in the house access. Or you could do a affordable system for both under $200. I am just saying as some people just want a camera at a door and be able to look sort of thing and these older NVR and basic Hikvision camera system more than fine.

XinRay Store - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling mounting brackets for cars,brackets steel,mount tv bracket and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

dsutton

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, Jack. Agreed that $500 is steep for a single camera, and since she's not planning to add more, there's no point in paying for the expandability.

Something like these could work (not nearly as good as the Dahua Starlight, but it could pass I guess):
Camera:
Aliexpress.com : Buy HIK Full HD 1080P POE IP Camera DS 2CD2335 I Replace DS 2CD2332 I H.265 ONVIF Infrared Camera Waterproof CCTV IP Camera from Reliable waterproof cmos camera suppliers on XinRay Store

NVR:
Aliexpress.com : Buy SUNELL 4CH P2P NVR QN14P 6MP Network Video Recorder 1080P Ovifi NVR Support Two Way Audio IOS Android Watch from Reliable watch case closed free suppliers on XinRay Store