Opinions on Camera locations and type

Lax

n3wb
Reaction score
This is my first post, and find it awesome I discovered this site. I would really appreciate suggestions for my new home. I wanted a robust surveillance systems. Was thinking of Dahua eyeball w/ NVR. Here is some information.

- This is in the city (SF) with many hot prowl burglaries in the area
- I want the cameras to capture identifying footage and serve as a visible deterrent.
- the local policeman requested I put cameras close to head level so he can use the footage to arrest people. I want the footage to benefit the neighbors too, who will have access.

I have attached pics of the front of the building and the back. The camera locations are marked in red.

My questions:
- Since cameras will be low, they need to be vandal resistant. Bullet cams don't seem like an option. Thinking eyeball cams/turrets might work. I know domes are the best, but this is in a place with sunlight and streetlight, will there be an issue of reflection off the dome.
- should I consider 2.8mm or 3.6mm?
- do I need starlight cams in the city?
- any comments on my camera location? Since my backyard cam is at a height. Any recommendation for a good dahua PTZ.

Will the Dahua 4MP eyeball work for me? IPC-HDW4431EM-AS. Any comments will be highly appreciated. http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw4431em-as-3731.html.

Pictures:
Front of building.jpg Garage Closeup.jpg Backyard - Camera pointing towards the fence.jpg Backyard Fence.jpg

Attachments

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a thought.

Have you spoken with your neighbors to see if they are also interested in adding cameras to their places too?

If near neighbors were co-operative you could provide better coverage for everyone at less cost per neighbor. Additionally, it casts a wider net of deterrent for the bad guys.

Lax

n3wb
Reaction score
@SquareEyes I am in touch with my neighbors few doors down who have put together a good system jointly. However my immediate neighbors are not interested because the units are tenant occupied.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like you have already taken a smart first step, talking to the neighbors.

Is the building you are in a single or multi dwelling premises?

Lax

n3wb
Reaction score
There are two units in my building but I am the owner of both and will live in the top floor.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The choice of cameras largely when you think "action" is going to happen.

Turrets would be my choice of styles for the front of the house.

I would reconsider mounting the garage cams on that fascia, if there is room above the garage door inside the garage I would go straight through the masonry and mount to that with good anchors. Buildings around here aren't made of dead tree carcasses so I may be prejudiced.

Usually the naughty boys and girls appreciate the cover of darkness. The 2MP starlight cameras are only a few dollars more and much better suited to low light, in fact no comparison judging on linked camera's specs.

Empire Technology is a known vendor in these Parts and has both 4MP and 2MP listed in his store.

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here is a good example of the difference between 4MP and 2MP
If you go with the IPC-HDW5231R-Z | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology varifocal you won't have to guess between 2.8 or 3.6mm. You may find you need something in between or more. These go from 2.7mm to 12mm. I would stick with the Starlights as they are excellent in low light conditions and you can run them in color mode all the time if you have enough external lighting.

I would also recommend using Andy @EMPIRETECANDY . Ordered 3 more cameras yesterday and already got my shipping notification. Be sure to let him know you are a member here and he gives better discounts to forum members.

Lax

n3wb
Reaction score
@SquareEyes @SLC thanks for your suggestions. So you think the turrets will work on all locations. I thought I might need the domes to prevent vandalism. But seems like the turrets are economical enough that I can replace them if it is damaged. I will consider putting it on the fascia if possible. It is concrete. For the backyard since the camera is high, do you think I should consider a PTZ? any recommendations.

I am in touch with Andy.