opinions on camera placements

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Attached are some snapshots of the camera's, looking for some opinions on locations and directions please. Any ideas or suggestions?
The Driveway and Sidewalk are Starlight turrets, the front porch is a 8mp amcrest bullet, the other 3 are some cheaper Qsee

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I know for me I want close up coverage of the vehicles. Otherwise you'll get lousy facial ID which is what you're gonna want when the local meth head breaks into your car.

ch2_20170613020421-A.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Hotwheels,

I would get a varifocal focused to watch over your mailbox, that seems like a good target for vandals and thieves.

Otherwise looks like you're off to a good start, get a test rig up and have a friend play the part of a prowler wearing a hoodie and cap and see if you can get any good facial ID shots.

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I swapped positions to move Varifocal starlight from Driveway to Parking, to get a tighter zoom on my cars (good point @bigredfish). Would love to get a wire over to the frontporch but no good way to do that (that i know). Waiting for a better doorbell cam option to work with BI, i have a skybell now.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I swapped positions to move Varifocal starlight from Driveway to Parking, to get a tighter zoom on my cars (good point @bigredfish). Would love to get a wire over to the frontporch but no good way to do that (that i know). Waiting for a better doorbell cam option to work with BI, i have a skybell now.
Hi Hotwheels,

If you have vinyl siding you maybe able to route and slip the cables under the siding for cameras covering the front porch / door.

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My next camera will be something for the front porch, likely a varifocal hdw2231r. Attached a phot of the front of my home, what are your thought of mounting the camera about the location I marked with red spot? Maybe set it to corridor mode ?

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of your cameras are mounted to high. You will see what happened but not who did it. Test test test
Get a fried to wear a hoodie baseball cap and sun glasses. Have him try the doors on the car, the doors on house. Can you easily identify him.
Use the bucket, 2x4 to test camera locations. Cameras next to doors at 6-7 feet up. Garage doors two cameras one on each side if you park in driveway.

I also have indoor cameras pointed at each door.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
My next camera will be something for the front porch, likely a varifocal hdw2231r. Attached a phot of the front of my home, what are your thought of mounting the camera about the location I marked with red spot? Maybe set it to corridor mode ?
Do you already have one covering the door? If not, that location is too far from the door for consistent positive ID. Move it to the doorway at 6-7ft

dmiller

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would think about a HDBW4231FN dual type device on the other side of the porch. The RCA doorbell cam may be your best choice for people at the door.

A turret would be better for bugs, but you need two cameras plus a doorbell cam for ideal front coverage. If a longer focal length is needed a hikvision darkfighter camera may be a better choice than a varifocal. Cheap varifiocal lenses should be easily outperformed by fixed glass. So if you can figure out the best field of view in advance buying a fixed lens camera is better.