Opinions on Ubiquiti (Unifi) Cameras?

Discussion in 'IP Cameras' started by nbstl68, Jul 26, 2016.

Share This Page

1. nbstl68

nbstl68 Getting the hang of it

Hi,
    Does anyone have any personal experience with or opinion on the cameras from the Ubiquity line? ( I'm just now seeing these..so guessing not so popular at least not on this forum maybe?)

I know they make good wireless connection products for long range but was not aware they had a camera line.

I like the look and what appears to be a small form factor for ceiling\wall use, especially if I put them inside, I'd prefer a cleaner smaller profile like this...but looking for any info on hardware, firmware, video, build quality first.
    I have read all the specs but pref if someone has some real world use opinions.

Specifically:

Unifi ceiling mount dome. (Model: UVC‑Dome)
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-dome/

Data Sheet: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFI_Video_DS.pdf

or

UniFi G3 dome. (Model: UVC‑G3‑DOME)
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3-dome/

Data sheet: https://dl.ubnt.com/datasheets/unifi/UniFi_Video_G3_DS.pdf

I assume these would work ok with BI like most other cams?

2. Del Boy

Del Boy Getting comfortable

It appears to be the same sensor as the Hikvision and Dahua 4MP cameras so I expect the image quality would be very similar.

They are ONVIF so will work with BI.

Can't help with hands-on experience as have never seen one before.

3. nayr

nayr Known around here

Avoid at all costs, they are horribly pripotary, and expensive for what they are.. I am a big fan of Ubiquiti and especially Unifi, but I'd never pay for one of there cameras.. 720p? please, nobody should be buying anything less than 1080p now days.

nbstl68 likes this.
  4. Del Boy

Del Boy Getting comfortable

Agree with the 720p thing except that the 2nd camera spec sheet is 4MP. I made that mistake checking at first.

5. nayr

nayr Known around here

it dont matter if it has a 4MP sensor in it, the spec sheet also says the max resolution is 1080p.. so you get all the shitty low light performance of 4MP and the poor resolution of 2MP, instead of using a 2MP sensor that has better low light capabilities.

I also dont see any claims to ONVIF compatibility, where did you see that?

6. nbstl68

nbstl68 Getting the hang of it

4MP sensor but only allowed 1080 res?..that's odd.

7. Redemption

Redemption Young grasshopper

I seen lots of complaints on the 720's. But have seen no complaints from the people owning the new G3's, however while I do not know much about specs. I do know this about unifi, go to their forum and share a problem with a camera and they address it. I do not work for them by the way. I have never owned any of their cameras and came here to get opinion's as well. Be nice to hear from an expert that has actually used one of the G3's. Maybe some expert from here can contact them and get a demo for review?

Maybe the camera's are too new to judge how good or bad they are? Never the less, it is good to see people comparing specs.

8. nayr

nayr Known around here

last time I looked into Unifi cameras, they only worked with UniFi NVR's and other cameras did not work with there NVR.. basically vendor lock in to a very limited choice of devices, mostly designed for indoor and office use..

since they ignore all industry standards and went there own way, I cant really see any point in using UniFi cameras unless you've already invested very heavily in the entire UniFi product line (Software Defined Networking, Wifi, VoIP, IPCameras) and just want to keep everything on the same system.

The'd give me units for free to test out if I simply asked em, they have before.. but about 10mins of research into UniFi cameras was more than enough to make me walk away and never look back.

Redemption likes this.
  9. Redemption

I just looked into their forum and saw that someone recently put in a request to have [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]ONVIF implemented. So they must still not have it. I was under the impression that the cameras where RTSP compliant but they may not be either. Now that I have been learning about IP cameras, I must admit that for that reason alone I could not purchase the Unifi cameras. I do own their switch and their router, but neither is the Unifi version. The only thing Unifi in my case is the access points. But that is not enough to compel me to purchase the cameras, if I am going to be locked to their NVR or strictly their proprietary software.I hate proprietary stuff, that is why do not own any apple products :)[/FONT]

10. Redemption

Editing my post, RTSP seems to be available from the cameras.

NAYR,

Thank you for helping me make up my mind. Unifi cameras are not for me. Now back to the drawing board, searching for a perfect ip camera lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  11. alastairstevenson

alastairstevenson Known around here

12. Owen

Owen n3wb

(Bringing up 6mo old stuff) RTSP is available (G3-Dome) but has to be turned on in the camera configuration on a per feed basis. i.e. 1080p feed, 720p feed, 360p feed. I'll probably end up adding this one to my Blue Iris since the Ubnt NVR can't add other IP cameras.